Caroline Gurney

DNA Log - Ancestry missing

I am using TMG 7.03. This morning I opened the TMG DNA Log for the very first time in order to add a DNA fingerprint using the DNA Ancestry Y-DNA 46 Marker Test template. According to the Help file, the program contains 2 DNA Ancestry templates but neither of them was showing in the "Add a DNA Fingerprint" screen. Nor was DNA Ancestry included in the drop down list of Laboratories.

I searched these forums for "DNA" and got no hits. However, a Google site search turned up Jim Byram's post from November 2007 in the TMGv6 forum with a link to download the file DNA Ancestry.dna.

When I placed the file in my TMG 7 program folder I got a message that the file (same date and size) already existed but I went ahead and replaced it anyway. On reopening TMG there was still no sign of the DNA Ancestry templates.

I then realised that the file probably needed to go into the Application Data folder for TMG 7 - a theory confirmed by reading the Data File Storage section of the Help file. Although I am the only user of this computer, Windows has managed to give me three Application Data folders (All Users, User and Default User). Needless to say, I had to try all three before finding the correct one. Success at last and I am now able to access the DNA Ancestry templates.

I am a reasonably savvy TMG user and I found the above process wearisome, frustrating and time consuming (although, admittedly, my poor health means my frustration levels are low :( ). I don't think a newbie would stand any chance of working it out. Surely there has to be an easier way, such as an automatic patch included with a TMG update?

Also, could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong when I try to search these forums? I never get any hits when I use the built in search engine but Google site search works.

Many thanks.

Caroline Gurney

I have no idea why DNA Ancestry.dna was not relocated on your system. It should have been.

Data File Storage tells you exactly where the file should have been located in the User Program Data folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

'username' refers to your user account, not to All Users or to Default User.

And it is a confusing issue until you finally understand TMG7 data file storage. For some few installations, data file relocation doesn't work as it should. There is no obvious explanation as to why.