jim.orrell

Reports to word processing files (e.g. RTF) not work with 64-bit VISTA

Sometime ago I had a problem printing word processor reports in Windows XP. I eventually traced the problem to letting Advanced Windowscare System Optimization set:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation current value as 1

This effectively stopped TMG running word processor reports as they used a 16 program.

OK that problem fixed.

Whilst I was researching that, I discovered that Windows VISTA would not run 16 bit programs, so it would not run word processor reports at all, and the only option seemed to be to write to PDF.

I tracked this down in the forum for Jan 2008:

"To be clear, the 'word processing' output that currently doesn't work includes output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF and HTML."

Can anyone tell me if this has been fixed?

I hope to get a new Laptop soon, and they all seem to come with Vista. Does this mean I will have to move from TMG if I want to produce a report to an RTF file? I run macros on most of my reports, so a PDF file is of little use.

You've gotten the story only partially correct. :) [i edited your topic title so that it would be less confusing to people.]

32-bit WinVista will run 16-bit code and TMG7 word processing output works fine.

The issue is with 64-bit WinVista x64 which will not run 16-bit code. The statement that you quoted above only refers to WinVista x64.

If you get a notebook that has 2 or 3 Gb memory, it should be running WinVista and will have no problem generating word processing reports from TMG. OEMs typically only install WinVista x64 when a computer has 4 Gb or more memory.

The word processing library with no 16-bit code is in development.

That sounds better news.

So: Either get 32-bit WinVista (with "effective" limit of 3GB memory)

or wait for TMG to update and get 64 bit Vista

and/or wait for the windows version after vista.

Thanks

So: Either get 32-bit WinVista (with "effective" limit of 3GB memory)

Unless you are using true 64-bit applications that use vast amounts of memory, that is not any sort of limitiation.

or wait for TMG to update and get 64 bit Vista

The change in TMG will happen not too far down the road.

and/or wait for the windows version after vista.

The last choice will make no difference to your concern and will be a year or so from now. And then you will need to decide whether to run 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7.

Edited by Jim Byram

Jim

Saw the comment in newsletter on this problem. Do you think Solution is a month, Three months or six months away? I don't plan on publishing another book till late summer early fall. I was just wondering what your best guess is? Thanks

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm asking about the Vista 64 bit problem with word processing, not vesrion 8.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm asking about the Vista 64 bit problem with word processing, not vesrion 8.

A program update such as v7.05 is a new release.

A new program version such as v8.00 is a new release.

All information about such things has to come from Wholly Genes.

So this problem will corrected in version 8 not and upgrade like we just received in 7.04?