Virginia Blakelock

Tutorial: One-page 4-generation Descendant Chart

ColorPP.jpg

Hand-coloring a chart.

These instructions optionally use the VCF Palette, downloadable here:

Open the saved 4-generation Descendant chart in VCF.

You can use colors from the standard Color Lookup Table (see modified instructions below) or custom colors from the VCF Palette.

If using the Palette, open it concurrently with the 4-gen Descendant chart using File / Open in VCF. You can switch back and forth between the 2 charts in the Window menu or, on the same menu, set Cascade or Tile to have both charts open at the same time.

The VCF Palette chart includes colored boxes along with 'boiler-plate' characters to copy and use in another chart. The first step in using the palette is to select the colors you want to use in your scheme:

Select and copy - one at a time - each of the 4 color boxes you will use in your scheme and set them aside in a blank place on the palette screen. You could Shift-select the boxes to Copy/Paste, but they will paste in the same scattered configuration they were in the palette, and you'll have to corral them later. It's easier to set them aside in a little group in the palette chart and select them all at once by drawing a box around them to copy and paste on the working chart. Paste the boxes into a corner of the descendant chart (you will delete them after the chart is colored).

To hand-color a chart by generation using palette colors:

Hold down the Shift button during the entire process.

Select a color box.

Click on a box in the first generation of the chart.

Go to menu Edit / Select Generation.

Rightclick Properties / Fill / down-arrow on Foreground color -- click on little box to right of Other -- click OK.

The first generation should be colored. If not repeat, making sure the Shift button is held down and the color box is selected first.

Repeat with the other three colors and generations.

There is a slight difference when coloring the Title box. At the 'Properties / Fill' step, first deselect the little 'Transparent Fill' box next to Foreground color. Then continue.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Modified instructions when using the Color Lookup Table:

Hold down the Shift button during the entire process.

Click on a box in the first generation.

Go to menu Edit / Select Generation.

Rightclick Properties / Fill / Down-arrow on Foreground color and click on Other to select a color from the table and click OK.

Repeat with other generations.

When the chart is complete, delete the palette boxes.

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you, Thank you for the effort you made to post these detailed instructions. Many times I have admired your charts and thought I didn't have the time to spend figuring out how to do it.

I only have very rudimentary knowledge of VCF, but now I'm off to create some very beautiful charts!

Thank you again.

Jane

This post continues Virginia's very nice tutorial example with similar charts to display possible variations.

You can change the chart's orientation (from right to left).

You can add exhibits (mainly, to see who's missing one).

You can use color to differentiate descendants from spouses (select components to be colored with a surrounding box while holding the control key down, instead of using the menu entry by generation. In this example, 10 selections were colored, 2 per gen.).

You can delete the standard TMG generated connector lines that make spouses resemble descendants.

By moving selections of components to reduce chart size:

You can show 5 generations on letter size page (attached chart is 8.25 x 5 inches),

You can change page orientation from landscape to portrait.

A similar second letter size chart is attached with a more complex set of descendants (8.25 x 10.25 inches).

The possibilities are endless. Cater to your whims and artistic talents. It just takes a little practice and experimentation to get an important chart to look the way that you want. Don't forget to save your intermediate work frequently.

Mike Talbot

post-1983-1227117152_thumb.jpg

post-1983-1227117238_thumb.jpg

Virginia,

Thank you, Thank you for the effort you made to post these detailed instructions. Many times I have admired your charts and thought I didn't have the time to spend figuring out how to do it.

I only have very rudimentary knowledge of VCF, but now I'm off to create some very beautiful charts!

Thank you again.

Jane

You are very welcome, Jane. Please ask if something is not clear.

Virginia

Virginia,

I have had fun experimenting with your chart. Thank you again for the step by step instructions that were easy to follow.

I do have a question and I know it is simple, but I don't know the answer. When I print the chart, I can see the little gray dots that surround the individual boxes and the title text box and the date box. I'm sure there is a way to turn those off after you are done editing your chart.

Jane

Jane,

Sounds like you are seeing the Ports - the connection points for chart components. Viewing the Ports is an option on the View menu, and I recommend not using that view option until you need it - for the very reason you found: if you forget to turn them off, they will show up on the printed chart. To turn them off: View / uncheck Ports. Or use Ctrl-M to toggle the Ports On/Off.

Virginia