aileen young

Need Help with Gedcom

I have Master genealogist U.K Silver Edition .

I have just tried to export my family tree, which I have been able to previous.

This time when I click on the export Gencom it takes me to the report page and not the drop down box as before.

I can find the exported file in the c hard drive but cannot open the TMGW in the Attach in the email.

I am I doing something wrong.

Aileen

Which version of TMG are you using, Aileen?

Since Aileen mentions "TMGW" my best guess would be that she's still using an older Version of TMG like TMG4.x

Aileen which Operating System is installed on your computer?

In case it is Windows XP it may be worth to look at this topic http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=354 as well.

Since Aileen mentions "TMGW" my best guess would be that she's still using an older Version of TMG like TMG4.x

That was my guess too, based in part on the mention of a "Report" - Exporting was done with a report in TMG4 and earlier, rather than with a wizard as in TMG 5, 6, & 7.

Assuming that is correct, I'm confused about the reference to "...it takes me to the report page and not the drop down box as before." Once you choose GEDCOM from the Export menu, you should go to a report definition screen. But it sounds like you did successfully create the GEDCOM, since you say you found it.

And I'm totally confused by "...cannot open the TMGW in the Attach in the email." You say you have found the GEDCOM file, Aileen, what are you trying to do with it?

That was my guess too, based in part on the mention of a "Report" - Exporting was done with a report in TMG4 and earlier, rather than with a wizard as in TMG 5, 6, & 7.

Assuming that is correct, I'm confused about the reference to "...it takes me to the report page and not the drop down box as before." Once you choose GEDCOM from the Export menu, you should go to a report definition screen. But it sounds like you did successfully create the GEDCOM, since you say you found it.

And I'm totally confused by "...cannot open the TMGW in the Attach in the email." You say you have found the GEDCOM file, Aileen, what are you trying to do with it?

Thank you Terry and Vera.

I have TMG4 when I first started using TMG ( which I agree it is the best Family Tree programe) I had ME windows and had no trouble xporting my family tree into wedsites eg Gen Cirles, GenUnited and a danish website Gedcomp.

2yrs ago I upgrade to a new computer with xp I wish now to upgrade myfamily to these websites.

I sent the gedcom to Gedcomp and it came back it was in Data form and not in Ged form.

With ny Icon on my desktop ,I could double click on it and it would open up my files and I could just click on the xport gedcom file but it now opens up in the report definition screen.

Would it be better for me to update with a newer version of TMG?

Aileen

I sent the gedcom to Gedcomp and it came back it was in Data form and not in Ged form.

Came back to you? I don't know what that means. Nor do I understand what "Data Form" means. It would help if you could explain exactly what you are doing and what is happening.

With ny Icon on my desktop...

The icon for what?

... I could double click on it and it would open up my files and I could just click on the xport gedcom file but it now opens up in the report definition screen.

So what is the problem? In TMG4 the export process is a report process. What happens if you go ahead and complete that process?

Would it be better for me to update with a newer version of TMG?

Yes, for a lot of reasons. But I don't understand why you cannot successfully export from TMG4.

Hello, Aileen -

Is it the gedcom file that you have now received back from GedComp that is causing a problem? If it has the .ged file extension, you should use the Import process in TMG4 to open it and convert it back to your TMG4 data file format.

Virginia