Hi,

Thanks Robin and Virginia for your suggestions to my post on the TMG List serv. Virginia said that I could use CTR+A to move the whole chart. This is great. That's exactly what I wanted. I moved it to the upper left hand corner. I now have quite a few blank pages to the right. I highlighted SIZE TO COMPONENTS. It was a nighmare. To the left and bottom was a new gray area. To the right was a gray area. The chart was moved to the right and now I still have blank pages in the upper left hand corner. It added more pages. What a mess. I don't like SIZE TO COMPONENTS and I thought it was to get RID of blank white spaces to the right. I had saved the chart so this was not a permanent customization. So, I'm left with a chart that I moved to the upper left hand corner. I would like to get rid of blank pages. Why can't I simply highlight and delete each blank page? That seems like a simple command to do. Maybe in the next version?? I need to send this chart to Wholly Genes tomorrow. I've been working on this problem for 4 hours now to no avail and I'm very tired. Maybe I can fix it tomorrow. Any more suggestions? Thanks Robin and Virginia!! :)) Terry

What you are telling us (by getting apprarently blank extra space to the right after Size to Components) is that "there are objects out the right" on the canvas.

Please use CTRL+A and that will put up placeholder markers for objects (including those which ARE NOT NORMALLY VISIBLE). You must have at least one object near the right edge of the canvas to get the result that you are seeing. CTRL+A will show you where these are!!)

I now suspect that you have dragged a box on your chart and you did not ALSO MOVE the connecting line intermediate connecting port as you did that action.

Delete any object out at that edge and then re-do "size to components".

What you are telling us (by getting apprarently blank extra space to the right after Size to Components) is that "there are objects out the right" on the canvas.

Please use CTRL+A and that will put up placeholder markers for objects (including those which ARE NOT NORMALLY VISIBLE). You must have at least one object near the right edge of the canvas to get the result that you are seeing. CTRL+A will show you where these are!!)

I now suspect that you have dragged a box on your chart and you did not ALSO MOVE the connecting line intermediate connecting port as you did that action.

Delete any object out at that edge and then re-do "size to components".

Robin,

I've checked three different ways to see if there is any object floating near the edge. There is none. I used the CTRL+A and looked. I used ZOOM TO FIT and then clicked on FULL SCREEN. I went to PRINT PREVIEW to look at each page. Nothing! I hit CTRL+A again and clicked on Components to Size. Does the same thing. It splits the whole chart in the middle horizontally. The top goes to the right and the bottom goes backward to the left. Totally screws the chart up. I went back to the original chart. It is now in the upper left hand corner. It looks pretty good actually. No floating lines. The ONLY problem is that there are 8 extra blank pages (one whole row under the chart that I don't need. ). The top row has one extra blank page to the right, the second row has two extra pages to the right and the third row has three extra pages to the right . I am trying so hard to figure out what I must be doing wrong. If I sent the file to Wholly Genes as is, I wonder if they could just chop out the extra pages?? This is driving me nuts. I can't sleep so I just got up again to try and fix it. When you use SIZE TO COMPONENTS, what is supposed to happen? I assumed that the unused white area to the right would be deleted. But, the whole chart moves to the right and then you have blank pages to the left. That leaves me with the same problem only on the left side of the canvas. Thanks for your help, Robin. I'll try again in the morning.

Now it sounds like there is an object with a large negative horizontal position that is off the canvas and "size to components" moves everything to be on a real canvas. The "size to components" should adjust the canvas to just include the bottom-most and right-most objects on the chart. I.E. it does what you would expect. It is not intended to move the left-most and top-most objects on the chart.

Please send the problem VC2 file to me here and I will try to give an explanation.

Now it sounds like there is an object with a large negative horizontal position that is off the canvas and "size to components" moves everything to be on a real canvas. The "size to components" should adjust the canvas to just include the bottom-most and right-most objects on the chart. I.E. it does what you would expect. It is not intended to move the left-most and top-most objects on the chart.

Please send the problem VC2 file to me here and I will try to give an explanation.

I tried sending you a ZIP file, but AOL willl only allow me to upload a file with less than 16 MB. My compressed file was 43 MB. I'm wondering if I can even send it to the Chart Printing place.

Edited by Tphelan100

Terry -

If it is too large to e-mail, you can send the chart to the WG chart service using FTP; see the instructions here.

What is the size of the chart without the problematic extra white space? Does it include images?

Re all the white space:

You indicated that you had tried moving the chart - selected with Ctrl-A - to the upper left and it looked almost all right. Using the chart copy, what happens when you change the chart dimensions to that correct size (by the rulers) using Tools / Diagram /Diagram Measurements? Experimenting, with View / Zoom Percent 50%, I enlarged the dimensions of a chart way beyond the tree portion - to simulate your white space. I then added a couple of extraneous objects - a small box and a connector port - off in a corner far from the tree, and then resized the chart smaller again using Diagram Measurements. The chart resized correctly - and left that box and the connector point sitting off by themselves, easily identifiable against the gray background - especially if selected with Ctrl-A. I then deleted them. If it is an extraneous object that is causing the problem, that may be one way to locate it.

Virginia

Terri -

If it is too large to e-mail, you can send the chart to the WG chart service using FTP; see the instructions here.

What is the size of the chart without the problematic extra white space? Does it include images?

Re all the white space:

You indicated that you had tried moving the chart - selected with Ctrl-A - to the upper left and it looked almost all right. Using the chart copy, what happens when you change the chart dimensions to that correct size (by the rulers) using Tools / Diagram /Diagram Measurements? Experimenting, with View / Zoom Percent 50%, I enlarged the dimensions of a chart way beyond the tree portion - to simulate your white space. I then added a couple of extraneous objects - a small box and a connector port - off in a corner far from the tree, and then resized the chart smaller again using Diagram Measurements. The chart resized correctly - and left that box and the connector point sitting off by themselves, easily identifiable against the gray background - especially if selected with Ctrl-A. I then deleted them. If it is an extraneous object that is causing the problem, that may be one way to locate it.

Virginia

Virginia,

I've spent the last 4 hours reading, experimenting, and experimenting. I finally (I'm a little slow) came up with the brilliant idea to copy the chart entirely into a new chart. What had been bothering me was that when I had initally moved the chart to the upper left hand corner (and it looked good), the ruler dimensions were in the negative numbers and I wonder if that had something to do with SIZE TO COMPONENTS not working correctly (I made two new small charts to experiment with and saw how this feature works. It was so easy I almost cried.....and it actually WORKED!!). There still is no object floating outside the chart anywhere. I feel it has something to do with the dimensions. I then moved a few things around in the new chart, I hit SELECT ALL instead of CTRL+A, and then I hit the SIZE TO COMPONENTS.......Guess what? Wheeeee! It worked. I now have 18 pages instead of 29!!! Copying into a new chart did the trick, but.......don't ask me why. I'll try uploading the chart now through TMG. Thanks for your help and your time! Terry