karthur

PDF as Exhibit

1) Click the Exhibit Log [Add] button and select a PDF.

or

2) Right-click in the Exhibit Log and select 'Insert new exhibit (other)' and select a PDF.

or

3) Drag and drop a PDF into the Exhibit Log.

The PDF will be viewed by whatever PDF viewer is selected by its file association.

The PDF will not be output in TMG reports.

The PDF can be used and viewed in Second Site web sites.

The PDF will not be output in TMG reports.

How can I get it output to reports?

You can't. The report writer processes a text stream, nothing else. So reports can only include image and text Exhibits.

How can I get it output to reports?

Extract the material in the PDF to a text file and/or image file(s) and attach those as exhibits.

Thanks Terry, I didn't think of that. I believe that Acrobat has a "Save As" where I can save the file as a jpg.

Bless your hearts. I was struggling with this problem. I put a text copy in a Note tag, this PDF is a download from Google Books and I wanted to be able to see the actual scans of the pages of this book that was published in 1919. Now I can! Thanks

I could not find a way to save a PDF file as a jpg, not even the page I was interested in. There is only a "Save As Text" function and that only saves the text portion that has been typed in, not if a book was scanned in. The only thing I could think to do regarding saving a googled or scanned book as an exhibit that would show was to print the pages that I was using as a source and then scan them as a jpg. Was anyone else able to extract the book as an image file?

Barb,

Using let's say Adobe Reader, open the PDF File. At the top should be a Tools Tab, select it, scroll down to Select and Zoom, click, select Snapshot Tool, select the area you want to grab. Once you do it will pop up and tell you that the selected area has been copied. Open up an editor that can save files in jpg format (Windows Paint will even work), have it create a new file, in the new file select Edit, then paste. Your capture from PDF will be there, save that as a jpg file and you will have it.

You can just attach the PDF file, but as has been discussed you won't get the output to a report automatically. You could edit the report and grab the information and paste it in, but saving it as a jpg would allow you to see it from the Exhibit Window, and put it into reports if exhibits are selected.

Dave O.

I could not find a way to save a PDF file as a jpg, not even the page I was interested in. There is only a "Save As Text" function and that only saves the text portion that has been typed in, not if a book was scanned in. The only thing I could think to do regarding saving a googled or scanned book as an exhibit that would show was to print the pages that I was using as a source and then scan them as a jpg. Was anyone else able to extract the book as an image file?

Barb,

Using let's say Adobe Reader, open the PDF File. At the top should be a Tools Tab, select it, scroll down to Select and Zoom, click, select Snapshot Tool, select the area you want to grab. Once you do it will pop up and tell you that the selected area has been copied. Open up an editor that can save files in jpg format (Windows Paint will even work), have it create a new file, in the new file select Edit, then paste. Your capture from PDF will be there, save that as a jpg file and you will have it.

You can just attach the PDF file, but as has been discussed you won't get the output to a report automatically. You could edit the report and grab the information and paste it in, but saving it as a jpg would allow you to see it from the Exhibit Window, and put it into reports if exhibits are selected.

Dave O.

Thanks Dave! I had gotten as far as "Your selection has been copied" one time but did not think to take it over to another program and paste it. Got it now!

Barb

Anything on the screen can be copied to the clipboard with the "PrintScreen" button; the active window only can be copied with "Alt+PrintScreen". This can then be pasted into Paint or other image softwaare. If a "Paste" option is not readily available, just put the cursor in the Paint (for example) window and past using "Ctrl+V". You can then crop as desired and save as .jpg.

Gene