I am doing a little computer cleaning house. I have a list of all PJC files on both new and old computers. On my new computer I have a file called c:\program files\the master genealogist\projects\fry_young__.pjc. When I try to open this file I get this attached warning:

"You are trying to open a project that is located in the Program Files tree that is reserved for program files. For you to access ths project, you need to copy or move this project to a folder located in either your user space or in common user space."

What files besides fry_young__*.* do I move? Moving the files is not the issue, making sure I get all the files is my concern.

tia

hf

Holly,

There are dozens of files associated with a single TMG project. That is why the best way is to never copy/move individual files. Instead, do a backup of the project on one computer selecting all possible options and a restore of that project on the other computer. The only thing this might miss is if you have a whole folder tree of external exhibits. In that case you should use Windows Zip to collect the entire folder tree of these exhibits and unzip on the destination computer. The restore of a project will also be sure to put the files in a folder on the computer where you have user privileges and not put them in a reserved folder location on the computer where they should not go. The latter is what you did that caused your error message.

Hope this gives you better ideas on how to move your files from one computer to the other,

Holly -

If you are using v7, projects and other data files are by default located in user space in three data file storage folders - depending on the type of data - not with program files. The default locations for these folders differ depending on whether you are using WinXP or Windows Vista. This is explained in Help / Data File Storage.

As Michael said, a project contains dozens of files - over 80 - and unless you keep each project in its own folder and move the entire folder, the safest way to move a project (and customizations) is to backup the project on the old computer and restore it to the new computer.

Virginia