Buzz

Resore to new computer

Dear Forum,

I recently acquired a new lap top with Vista, my desk top is Windows XP. My TMG UK version is 7.03.0000

At present I am using the desk top to add data and transferring the new data from a backup disk via restore on the lap top. Half way through the restore process I ger an error which reads “Dyna Zip Un Zip error. Error creating output file ( problem extracting file(s).” Eventually I get out of the restore wizard and the new data appears to have been transferred however I am concerned about the message and that the restore is causing errors!

I also note that under Programs 86/TMG/Projects the folder is empty? Under documents TMG the backup file has recent backups shown and the project folder has a large number of files most named Fraser with a variety of extensions. Also two folders "UK Sample" and "Sample."

If I try to check for up-date versions I get an error ‘check to see TMG correctly installed?

In summary I would like to know how to keep the data current on the lap top after adding new information on the desk top, why I can’t check for newer versions?

Also I should mention I don’t have an install disk I installed from TMG’s website then included my serial number. Any assistance would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Buzz.

Buzz -

You may get the DynaZip error when restoring directly from an external medium - cd, thumb drive, etc. Copy your .sqz file to the hard drive and restore from there; same in reverse - backup to your hard drive and copy that backup .sqz file to your external medium.

V7 by default stores modifiable data files in three locations strictly apart from program files. In Vista, the default location for User data files (projects, backups, config files, etc.) is

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

The location of user data files in v7 is very specific - and important for the correct operation of the program; please read Help / Data File Storage.

A single project contains 80 or more files, all beginning with the name of the project, and with different extensions - so what you see is the files in your Frasier project, along with the folders for the Sample and UK Sample projects. I recommend keeping each project in its own folder - say Frasier - so all those files are corraled in one place. Note that the .pjc file is a simple text file with your project settings, just one of your many project files.

V7.03 is the latest version, so there is no need now to check for an update. I don't know why you are getting the error message unless it is because you have installed v7 in other than the recommended default locations.

The best way to keep the laptop current is by restoring a backup of the project files from the desktop. Particularly note the suggestions and caveats about restoring exhibits in the Help article on Data File Storage.

The installation from the WG site is always a current version (v7.03 in this case), so that should not be a problem.

Virginia