g morin

Can't restore or import TMG v6 to new computer

In preparation of a new computer purchase, I backed up a main project on a network hard drive using TMG 6.12. I installed TMG 6.X (from disk) on the new computer and have been unable to import or restore the project. I read about the need to have the same TMG version number for backup/restore, so I tried to download an update. Apparently, that is not available and only the version 7 is available. Since TMG V7 is not V6.12, I am not keen to take that step without confirmation that version 7 is a workaround to a restore or an import. Without many words, I need this project.

Oddly the TMG window that stops the process states that the 5.x backup is not valid backup of TMG v5. I don't understand that since I am not running v5.

George

George,

Are you accessing the ".sqz" backup file from off a network drive or off your C: drive on your new computer. It is usually recommended to copy the ".sqz" file to the C: drive of the new computer and then do the restore from that file. Not sure if this is your problem, but it might be worth a try.

George

Tech support can give you a link to download v6.12 since, as you found, you will need the latest v6 version to restore your v6.12 project. E-mail: support@whollygenes.com. If your new computer is running WinVista, you may want to consider upgrading to TMG v7 which is designed to be compatible with Vista. Tech support can also advise you on that.

Virginia

Hi, i am having similar problems with my computer. From the old computer, I have backed up onto a "flash drive". I have tried to save it to my "new computer" which it says it cannot open as it is a zip file and or locked file. I can open it up on the flash drive "f" but cannot copy it to the new computer C drive. I have downloaded the V6:12 version OK from the internet. Can anyone help? Regards Janice

I can open it up on the flash drive "f" but cannot copy it to the new computer C drive.

That makes no sense. You have a file on a flash drive that you can't copy to your hard drive using Windows Explorer?

You need to copy the file from your flash drive to your hard drive using Windows Explorer. And then restore the backup from the hard drive.

If you are running v6.12 and your new computer is running WinVista, you need to read this document very carefully and follow the suggestions.

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg6andwinvista.pdf