Carol Collins

ASUS EEE & thumbdrive

I was told by two people on the cruise that it was possible to put the entire TMG program, plus data, etc., on a thumb drive so that I may use the ASUS EEE tiny computer. So far I have not been able to figure out how to do this. Would some kind soul give me simple instructions on just how this is accomplished? A computer whiz I'm not!

TYIA........and a Happy New Year to everyone

Carol

That's not exactly correct but it can be done.

You bought the wrong netbook to run TMG. The optimal netbook to run TMG would have a 80Gb or larger hard drive and you would do a normal installation.

1) A number of files will be added to C:\Windows\System32. That can't be avoided.

2) The USB flash drive will need to stay plugged in to the netbook. It can't be moved to other computers.

3) You need to have a thorough understanding of using Windows Explorer and of the Windows file system.

4) Open TMG help.

Open the 'Data File Storage' / 'For Advanced Users' help topic.

In that topic, click the 'Customizing Data File Storage' link.

Read the Customizing Data File Storage help topic. In you can understand that topic with no help and understand about creating the Data_paths.txt file, then you are up to doing this.

I'm assuming that you are running WinXP and that the USB flash drive is drive D:. (adjust the explanation below if necessary)

On drive D:, create a folder named TMG.

Under the TMG folder, create one folder...

D:\TMG\The Master Genealogist v7

Create the Data_paths.txt file as follows...

[username]

SharedProgramData=D:\TMG\SharedProgramData

UserProgramData=D:\TMG\UserProgramData

UserData=D:\TMG\UserData

'username' is your user name on your netbook.

Install TMG v7.03 (or the latest version) to D:\TMG\The Master Genealogist v7.

Add the Data_paths.txt file that you created to the program folder before you run the new TMG7 installation for the first time.

The first time that you run your new TMG7 installation, the three data file folders will be created and the appropriate files will be copied to those three data file folders.

You now restore your project(s) to appropriate folders under the D:\TMG\UserData\Projects folder.

That's it.

It's OK to ask questions but if you don't understand the fundamentals without more explanation, then you have no business doing this.

Carol,

If you have not yet purchased the ASUS EEE computer, you might consider the OQO which is a full PC that fits in your pocket. You can get it with either a 120 GB Hard Drive, or a 64GB Solid State Drive, and then do a normal TMG install. I have one and use TMG on it when in the Library. OQO has also just announced a new model 2+ with the Intel Atom processor, the world’s first PC OLED display, and worldwide 3G capability. Based on the 1.86GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB RAM, the OQO model 2+ offers performance up to twice as fast as its predecessor and includes an embedded touchscreen for easier input. The new model will be shown at CES in January.

That's not exactly correct but it can be done.

You bought the wrong netbook to run TMG. The optimal netbook to run TMG would have a 80Gb or larger hard drive and you would do a normal installation.

Thanks, Jim. looks like this isn't the best idea for my limited abilities. Guess I'll just keep lugging my2# VIAO around - actually, the case is heavier than the computer! I appreciate the complete instructions and will keep them in case.......

Carol

Carol,

If you have not yet purchased the ASUS EEE computer, you might consider the OQO which is a full PC that fits in your pocket. You can get it with either a 120 GB Hard Drive, or a 64GB Solid State Drive, and then do a normal TMG install. I have one and use TMG on it when in the Library. OQO has also just announced a new model 2+ with the Intel Atom processor, the world’s first PC OLED display, and worldwide 3G capability. Based on the 1.86GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB RAM, the OQO model 2+ offers performance up to twice as fast as its predecessor and includes an embedded touchscreen for easier input. The new model will be shown at CES in January.

________

Hadn't heard of the OQO -- that's an interesting little gadget! No - I was thinking of using my husband's ASUS -- but it sounds much too complicated for me so I'll just go back to my VIAO, which is lightweight enough. Thanks for the information - I'll keep my eyes out for that one.

Carol

Dear TMG users,

I also am in the market for a netbook to carry back and forth to locations. Need something lightweight that I can easily install TMG onto. I am not good with computers so easy is the word. Also need it to be cost effective. I looked at the OQO site that Michael Hannah had recommended and it seems nice except for the price and typing with my thumbs will not work. Oh also will need to keep a daily journal/calendar on it. So any other suggestions?

Always,

Debbie

Check on www.newegg.com under netbooks. Pick one that meets your needs.

I have a MSI and the ones on newegg run $350 or $430 (much less than I paid several months ago with better features). I would also consider the Samsung.

My criteria were - 10" screen, 1 Gb ram, hard drive, a good keyboard, WinXP, a 6-cell battery. Both the MSI and Samsung netbooks have excellent keyboards with .92 spacing (as compared to normal).

Check on www.newegg.com under netbooks. Pick one that meets your needs.

I have a MSI and the ones on newegg run $350 or $430 (much less than I paid several months ago with better features). I would also consider the Samsung.

My criteria were - 10" screen, 1 Gb ram, hard drive, a good keyboard, WinXP, a 6-cell battery. Both the MSI and Samsung netbooks have excellent keyboards with .92 spacing (as compared to normal).

Dear Jim,

Thank you for this information. I will look into it. I am curious thou as you are saying only 1GB and someone previously on this thread said that I need at least 80GB to run TMG on it? As I am not computer savory which is it that I need. I would want to install the complete TMG and have it user friendly when I am at a research location.

Always,

Debbie

Debbie - in the first instance Jim was talking about the size of the hard drive (80GB) and in the second as the amount of recommended memory (1GB). The criteria and netbooks he suggested should meet your needs. As Jim mentioned, you will want one with WinXP.

Virginia

Any size hard drive found on a netbook would be large enough to run TMG. The two MSI netbooks that I mentioned above have hard drives of 120 Gb and 160 Gb respectively.

Netbooks with solid state drives (SSDs) tend to have very small drives since SSDs are relatively expensive at this point. The Dell netbook is only available with 4, 8 and 16 Gb SSDs. The versions with the 16 Gb drive would be adequate. Unless you have a huge quantity of exhibits. The HP 10" netbook has a 40 Gb hard drive and that would probably be fine.

Depending on what else you plan to use a netbook for, a hard drive with plenty of space gives you room to do whatever you would like to do.

... I looked at the OQO site that Michael Hannah had recommended and it seems nice except for the price and typing with my thumbs will not work. Oh also will need to keep a daily journal/calendar on it. So any other suggestions?
Debbie,

The OQO can dock to a docking station where you have a full-size keyboard and monitor. In addition, you can get a bluetooth foldable full-size keyboard that will work with the OQO when you are out and about. Finally, the OQO runs full Microsoft, whether XP or Vista, so you could have the full Microsoft office suite with its journal and calendar capability or any other such programs that run on Windows. I use the Mozilla products for that and love having my full calendar and journal with me, as well as full wireless connectivity.

I have an Acer Aspire One D270 netbook with Windows 7 which I purchased only for the purpose of looking up TMG information at the library and other locations. I will continue to input on my desktop and thought I would transfer/update my project on to the netbook by using a thumb drive. Questions are:

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Because I downloaded TMG, I don't have a disk. How do I download the program to the netbook?

Diane

Download the trial version from the Wholly Genes website. Install it and add your registration information.

Transferring a backup and other data via a USB flash drive is a perfectly reasonable way to copy your data to the new computer.