I transferred from v6 to v7 some months ago and all has been ok. However 1 project I had not used until recently and when I added some new information and then tried to back up just using the default questions (which I aways do), it seems to be going ok until half way through writing it onto the floppy disc it stops with the following message:- 'Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a Zip file that is locked or restricted by another process. Please check the destination drive.'

I am not very computer literate so do not understand this but can someone tell me in simple language what I need to do to obtain a back up.

I run on Windows XP and back up projects on floppy discs. All my other projects appear to back up ok on v7.

We don't get many questions about floppy disks since most new computers don't include the drives for them anymore, but there are a couple of things you can try:

In the Backup step 'Backup Characteristics', check 'Span disks' in case the backup size is going to need a second disk.

If you are making your backup directly to the floppy disk, instead make your backup to a folder on the C drive and then copy that .sqz file to the floppy disk.

Let us know if you still have a problem -

Virginia

Thank you. I have managed to get a back up by using your suggested method but I am still mystified why one project will not back up in my normal way while all the others do. This is not my largest project so there is no reason why it should not fit onto 1 disc (It did in the end in any case). I do not have lots of attachments or photos connected to any of my projects. I have checked step by step with another project to see if there are any differences with what is shown on the back up procedure but apart from the single word name of the project they are identical.

I know I am a bit behind the times using floppies but I prefer them to hard discs for simple work as they are reusable, and I haven't got round to the latest equipment.

Was it the Span Disk option that fixed the problem? This was a common error message when we were all backing up to floppies, and I recall leaving the Span Disk option ticked all the time even though I never had a backup large enough to require more than one disk. I assume it is just a miscalculation on the part of the backup software making estimates on the fly.

Virginia

Was it the Span Disk option that fixed the problem? This was a common error message when we were all backing up to floppies, and I recall leaving the Span Disk option ticked all the time even though I never had a backup large enough to require more than one disk. I assume it is just a miscalculation on the part of the backup software making estimates on the fly.

Virginia

No. Span Disc comes up automatically when I select back up as I always use drive 'A'. It gave no indication that there was not room on the disc and I tried a second brand new disc to make sure that this was not the problem. I always format the disc before use although on small projects it can be used 2 or 3 times before showing full. I take it that this is the same message I get when the disc is full, I hadn't noticed, as I expect it then and just use another disc.

As suggested I backed up to 'C' and then transferred it to 'A'. But a cumbersome way if I have to do it all the time as I like to take regular back ups.

I think the problem must lie in something I did when transferring from 6 to 7, If I remember transferring from 6 to 7 is not quite straightforward and I had to take a different copy of 6 before they would be accepted by 7, I may have done something different when doing this particular project, but too long ago to remember exactly. Its just that I would prefer to put it right if I can.

I don't know why one project would be different from the others when making backups to the same drive. Not being able to backup or restore directly to an external medium is a common problem - seeming to depend on the computer. Thus the usual advice to make the backup to the local drive and then copy it to the external medium. I do not have that problem, but from the number of questions we get, apparently many people do.

You are correct in remembering that transferring from v6 to v7 was different; we had to Restore our projects from a v6 backup, not convert directly from v6 to v7. You might check your backup path for that project in the Backup Wizard as well as in Preferences / Advanced / Backups to see if there is anything different from your other projects.

Virginia

I had done two back ups on different projects at the same time and checked each stage for diffences without finding any, other than the names of the Projects and Back ups, one worked and one didn't. I have however just attempted the same thing again, the first time that I have tried since doing the two stage back up the other day and it has worked. Hopefully in all my various attempts I have put right whatever was causing the problem. I will try again tomorrow to make sure that it still works and therefore do not have to bother you all again.

Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

I just tried to do something similiar, backup my project on V7 from my project files to a second internal drive I have and I received the error

Input file read failure-This srror occurs when a file read operation is performed on a zip file that is locked or restricted by another process

I have backed up my project several times before with out any problem. The only thing that I have done since the last backup, was add several photos to some of my names, and run the Utilities program and Second site program that I received on the October cruise.

Later today I will try other options that have been suggested already.

Alan

Regarding my previous post on back up

I rebooted my computer this did not work

I switched my backup file location to another internal drive and backup was succssfull.

I do have a Western Digital backup system that monitors these files, it could be that it had the TMG v7 backup file folder open or something like that preventing the TMG backup program to work.

... I do have a Western Digital backup system that monitors these files, it could be that it had the TMG v7 backup file folder open or something like that preventing the TMG backup program to work.

Yes, if another program is accessing that file while it is being created, especially if it locks it, this would cause the problem.

Glad you were able to get your backup to work.

Not wanting to start a new post on an existing subject have 'hijacked' this post. Often come in and have a read but this is my first post.

Very recently upgraded to V7.03 and I am getting the same error as detailed above on back-up i.e. 'Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a Zip file that is locked or restricted by another process.

The back-up is to my hard drive ©, not an external one, and I use the default settings on back-up.

At stage 3 - options, if 'external exibits' is selected I get the above error, if I de-select this option the project backs-up.

I do have exhibits and they are all linked externally, but I use a different folder to the default specified. The folder I use is a 'tree type', by surname, system. In Preferences/Advance/Exhibit Folders I have navigated and selected the top level of this folder stsyem. However, even if I use the default folder setting I still get the same problem. I used this 'tree type' folder set-up on V6 without any problems.

Any advice on resolving this problem would be most welcome.

Rod

I do have exhibits and they are all linked externally, but I use a different folder to the default specified. The folder I use is a 'tree type', by surname, system. In Preferences/Advance/Exhibit Folders I have navigated and selected the top level of this folder stsyem. However, even if I use the default folder setting I still get the same problem. I used this 'tree type' folder set-up on V6 without any problems.

Rod... There is a 'number of external exhbit files' issue. This might be fixed in v7.04.

Just a comment.

Although backup should be able to backup the exhibits tree, restore cannot replicate the tree when restored. Considering that, what's the point of backing up the exhibits? (You do have the option of dragging the tree out of the SQZ file since it's a ZIP file to any folder location you choose and restoring the exhibits tree by that method.)

Thanks for the reply Jim, appreciated.

I can live with the problem for now, at least I can back-up my data, that was my main concern, and it took a few days of trial and error to be able to achieve that. Lots of desk thumping and 'blue air' eminating from the room I use as an office.

I think idividuals should be aware of the potential problem, and this is an ideal medium to do that. It is frustrating because if you do not 'de-tick' the option TMG closes down and you then have to reopen and go through the process again. Hopefully, as you say, the issue(s) will be resolved in V7.04.

Edited by Rod Deller