okrick

Exhibit Log Filter

How is the Exhibit Log Filter supposed to work? I want to locate where a specific exhibit file is attached.

I'm taking the following steps:

1. Menu-->Tools-->Exhibit Log

2. Sort--None

3. Focus--All Exhibits

4. Type--All Types

5. Filter--1865 [the value I want to find]

6. Nothing Happens

7. I press Enter

8. The filter works but I also get the Select files for new exhibit, e.g. same as if I had clicked on the Add button. The Add button is the highlighted button when the window is opened. I suppose that if Delete had been highlighted then the filtered file would have been deleted.

What I expected was that either the filter worked as I typed in the filter value or that the filter only would apply when I pressed Enter after typing. Or a search/filter button to initiate the filter might help.

The filter works on any word in the Topic field. Type "John" into the filter field and hit the Enter key. Any exhibit (of the all that you selected) that contains the word "John" in the Topic field will be shown.

Not for me. However, if that happens, try hitting Tab rather than Enter. That activates the filter and moves the point to the rows selector.

Jim,

Yes pressing the tab key works. I've also found that pressing the Next arrow works as well.

I still feel that the way the filter works is obtuse--not intuitive at all. Nor does it work the way other filters in TMG work. For example, the [F2] people and place search works as you type.

Thanks for your prompt response,

Rick

The EL filter and the F2 filter work in an entirely different manner. The F2 filter starts from the beginning of the string and can advance a character at a time. The EL filter selects a complete character string from within the Topic field string. The selected string can come from anywhere within the Topic field text. I think that it would be highly inefficient to cycle through the selected records and repaint the EL every time that a character was typed.

Rick,

I found a bug submission (that I wrote in August :( ) for the 'Enter' issue and this should be fixed in v7.04.

Serious brain damage on my part.

Jim