patthepiper

Word Journal Report Problem

I'm running UK Gold, fully updated, XP Pro Build 2600 Service pack 3.

ASCII text will write Journal files.

ASCII without soft CR/LF and Word files will not write Journal files.

"Preview" displays correctly.

I usually save to an external HDD, but have tried saving to the TMG default and the C root directory, but still no good.

Free space on F: 212 GB; C: 57.3GB:RAM 768 Mb.

I have also tried all maintenance programs, and also reset Journal Report Definition Screen to default values before repeating tests. For the tests I used a file with less than 30 names and minimum information and no external files.

In operation, the (Word) report attempts to write to disk, and "Wait" is displayed. I tried leaving it for several minutes but that didn't work. To abort, I open the Windows Task Manager; selecting 'End Task' immediately ends 'writing' and brings up the '... do you want to view ...' window. The resultant file contains no text.

In early attempts '...Conversion error 3 ... could not open CONV_LOG on scratch drive ...' appeared, but I haven't seen this on recent tests.

Over many years I have had no problems with these reports. Am I losing my marbles, or is my software sick?

I would be very grateful for some expert help!

Pat

Pat, did you ever get this resolved? I seem to have the same problem. My file was a bit larger with 143 people but the wait period ran over an hour before I terminated it. Thanks.

I'm running UK Gold, fully updated, XP Pro Build 2600 Service pack 3.

ASCII text will write Journal files.

ASCII without soft CR/LF and Word files will not write Journal files.

"Preview" displays correctly.

I usually save to an external HDD, but have tried saving to the TMG default and the C root directory, but still no good.

Free space on F: 212 GB; C: 57.3GB:RAM 768 Mb.

I have also tried all maintenance programs, and also reset Journal Report Definition Screen to default values before repeating tests. For the tests I used a file with less than 30 names and minimum information and no external files.

In operation, the (Word) report attempts to write to disk, and "Wait" is displayed. I tried leaving it for several minutes but that didn't work. To abort, I open the Windows Task Manager; selecting 'End Task' immediately ends 'writing' and brings up the '... do you want to view ...' window. The resultant file contains no text.

In early attempts '...Conversion error 3 ... could not open CONV_LOG on scratch drive ...' appeared, but I haven't seen this on recent tests.

Over many years I have had no problems with these reports. Am I losing my marbles, or is my software sick?

I would be very grateful for some expert help!

Pat

This is a known issue and is caused by a program outside of TMG changing one of the operating system default registry setting and the new registry setting then blocks the word processor component of TMG's report output. This was discussed in the last newsletter.

Please contact Support directly and have Phil walk you through the fix.

support@whollygenes.com