patthepiper

Word Journal Report Problem

I have also posted this on the Ver. 7 Forum

I'm running UK Gold, fully updated, XP Pro Build 2600 Service pack 3.

ASCII text will write Journal files.

ASCII without soft CR/LF and Word files will not write Journal files.

"Preview" displays correctly.

I usually save to an external HDD, but have tried saving to the TMG default and the C root directory, but still no good.

Free space on F: 212 GB; C: 57.3GB:RAM 768 Mb.

I have also tried all maintenance programs, and also reset Journal Report Definition Screen to default values before repeating tests. For the tests I used a file with less than 30 names and minimum information and no external files.

In operation, the (Word) report attempts to write to disk, and "Wait" is displayed. I tried leaving it for several minutes but that didn't work. To abort, I open the Windows Task Manager; selecting 'End Task' immediately ends 'writing' and brings up the '... do you want to view ...' window. The resultant file contains no text.

In early attempts '...Conversion error 3 ... could not open CONV_LOG on scratch drive ...' appeared, but I haven't seen this on recent tests.

Over many years I have had no problems with these reports. Am I losing my marbles, or is my software sick?

I would be very grateful for some expert help!

Pat

It sounds like a data length problem somewhere.

Can you produce a Journal report from the Sample project OK?

If that works then start small in your project and slowly increase the output until you get a failure.

Robin -

Using the sample project, six people, 2 generations, I got the same result. An ASCII file was printed, a Word file was not.

After much computer housekeeping the following error message has returned -

'...Conversion error 3 ... could not create or open CONV_LOG on

scratch drive ...'

Pat

Pat -

The conv_log file is a temporary 'conversion log' file that is created for each Word report in a temporary location (scratch file) on your computer. Among the causes of a conversion error is TMG not finding the temporary location (scratch drive) where it expects it, sometimes when there are multiple drives.

Conversion errors can be hard to track down. Tech Support can advise you what to look for.

WG Tech Support:

From www.whollygenes.com > Contact us

E-mail support : support@whollygenes.com

Phone support : 410-715-2260 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Eastern)

Virginia

Pat -

The conv_log file is a temporary 'conversion log' file that is created for each Word report in a temporary location (scratch file) on your computer. Among the causes of a conversion error is TMG not finding the temporary location (scratch drive) where it expects it, sometimes when there are multiple drives.

Conversion errors can be hard to track down. Tech Support can advise you what to look for.

WG Tech Support:

From www.whollygenes.com > Contact us

E-mail support : support@whollygenes.com

Phone support : 410-715-2260 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Eastern)

Virginia

Virginia,

Many thanks for the response.

I considered a scratch drive fault, but ASCII text reports can be written therefore TMG can set up and use a scratch file. To me this suggests that TMG rather than my computer is at fault.

As none of the WP formats work, the inability to set up a scratch file may be the result of a corrupted file common to all WP formats. Again, this may be a TMG fault.

Tech Support now have all details.

I haven't had a TMG problem for years ...

Pat

Pat -

The scratch drive is just one possibility, since you mentioned another drive. You can check the default location of the scratch drive in the TMG Trouble Report: Help / Technical Support / Trouble Report, under the SYSTEM DESCRIPTION section - 'Temporary File Path'.

You may find some other suggestions by searching for 'conversion error 3' in the mailing list archives here. Unfortunately the final solution was not always posted.

There was also a suggested fix posted on the forum last year here. Since this is specific to that user's setup, you would want to discuss it with Tech Support first.

Let us know what the problem turns out to be -

Virginia

Virginia,

I don't know what happened, but I responded earlier but my message seems to have gone astray. To repeat my earlier message -

Before I acted on your suggestions I received a message from Phil DaSilva of TMG Support and at his suggestion I 'restored' to a date earlier than my last successful Word report.

This seems to have fixed it.

In the hope that I don't add to the confusion I experienced reading the Conversion Error 3 correspondence I will post a 'new topic' to suggest restoring as a possible solution.

Kind regards - and thanks for your help!

Pat