castle411

Creating a new project

Is there any way to create a new project using information already entered into an existing project in TMGv7. I need to seperate a part of my project to send without exposing my entire project. Do I need to start from scratch or can I seperate a part of my project to create a new project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

Is there any way to create a new project using information already entered into an existing project in TMGv7. I need to seperate a part of my project to send without exposing my entire project. Do I need to start from scratch or can I seperate a part of my project to create a new project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

TMG is great for this. Create a Focus Group of those people that you want to give to someone. Name it while saving it to disk.

Select Report in the TMG tool bar. Click List of…, click people. Follow the wizard and fill in the blanks specifying use auxiliary output employing your above named Focus Group, just created above. Your new and separate TMG dataset containing only those persons in your Focus Group will be generated.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Vince,

Yes, the List of People report has a "Secondary Output" option that will create a new Project containing the people included in the report. Click Options, then on the Secondary Output tab to turn it on.

The rest of the task is to define the desired group of people. You can do that by collecting them in a Focus Group, selecting them in the Project Explorer, or by creating a Filter in the List of People. You specify which of the three you are using on the Report Defintion screen.

For more on creating such groupings, you many find my article on Using People Filters helpful.

Vince,

Notice that Mike mentioned creating a separate Data Set with the Secondary Output of the List of People. The Secondary Output can create either a new Project or a new Data Set. If you want to send it to someone, you would want to create a separate Project, not a new Data Set within your existing Project.

But a thought... you said you were going to send it to someone. I assume that person is a TMG user also, in which case you should send a backup of the new Project, which the recipient would the Restore. If they do not use TMG, you would need to Export to a GEDCOM, which uses quite a diffent process than Mike and I have described.

Vince,

Notice that Mike mentioned creating a separate Data Set with the Secondary Output of the List of People. The Secondary Output can create either a new Project or a new Data Set. If you want to send it to someone, you would want to create a separate Project, not a new Data Set within your existing Project.

But a thought... you said you were going to send it to someone. I assume that person is a TMG user also, in which case you should send a backup of the new Project, which the recipient would the Restore. If they do not use TMG, you would need to Export to a GEDCOM, which uses quite a diffent process than Mike and I have described.

I want to thank both Mike and Terry. I created the new project with no problems. I created a .ged file from there and sent it. The person I sent it to said he needed a .ged file. I assume he is'nt using TMG since I told him I was.

Thanks again,

Vince.

You're welcome, Vince.

If the objective is to create a GEDCOM, creating a temporary Data Set works, but is the hard way. You can create a GEDCOM for a part of your Data Set by collecting the desired people in a Focus Group, or selecting them in the Project Explorer.

You're welcome, Vince.

If the objective is to create a GEDCOM, creating a temporary Data Set works, but is the hard way. You can create a GEDCOM for a part of your Data Set by collecting the desired people in a Focus Group, or selecting them in the Project Explorer.

Terry,

I also wanted to create a new project for a branch of the family there most fo the people are not related but the history is interesting from stories my Mom used to tell me. The investigation is interesting and is taking me places I never thought I'd go. That's why I wanted to create a new project. I'm also helping someone else with this project. He doesn't use TMG, so gedcom's are required.

Vince

Vince,

You probably have previously seen my comments about maintaining separate Projects - I generally think that's a very bad idea for a number of reasons. But, if it works for you, great!

I'll just note that you said "...most of the people are not related to me..." - that means some are. How will you integrate what you enter in the new Project with the same people in your main Project?

Vince,

You probably have previously seen my comments about maintaining separate Projects - I generally think that's a very bad idea for a number of reasons. But, if it works for you, great!

I'll just note that you said "...most of the people are not related to me..." - that means some are. How will you integrate what you enter in the new Project with the same people in your main Project?

Terry,

I don't like the idea of keeping two databases either, but, I'm helping an writer with the genealogy of a branch of my family. I'm giving him access to the data and I don't want to give him the entire family, only that part that he is concerned with. This seems the easiest way.

I know I may have to do some double data entering but I don't mind.

Vince

I'm new at this messaging system (forum) so please bear with me.

It seems (see above) that TMG has a major fault in design. One cannot create two projects or two datasets in one project and avoid double data entry. If I'm wrong please advise.

More specifically... I have a project with all my family in one dataset. My goal is to create another project or dataset with duplicate persons and avoid double data entry The solution, it seems, would be to have a parent project or database with children projects or datasets. A change in linking (duplicative) person would be reflected in the parent or child dataset. Is this wrong headed?

Thanks, George

The whole idea of having separate data sets is that they are totally independent. That means what happens in one is totally issolated from the other. They can have different Tag Types, Source Types, Styles, etc. The people, sources, and places in one cannot be linked in way to another. That is the point of having separate data sets, at least the way they are designed.

But I suppose more relevant to your post is the question of why you would want to have separate data sets with duplicate people in them? What advantage do you see from doing that?

Welcome, George,

Feel free to post questions on whatever you don't understand about TMG.

It seems (see above) that TMG has a major fault in design. One cannot create two projects or two datasets in one project and avoid double data entry.... My goal is to create another project or dataset with duplicate persons and avoid double data entry

As Terry replied, it is true that by design all TMG projects and datasets are completely independent. Whether this is a feature or a fault is a matter of point of view :rolleyes: Many of us users appreciate this intentional separation.

However, as Terry suggested, let us know your goals and maybe one of us users can enlighten you to features of TMG that can accomplish that goal without duplicating people in different projects or datasets. If you are trying to keep track of different subsets of your data, TMG has many features designed to do that with the data that is contained in a single dataset. One of the best examples is identifying and keeping track of different branches of the ancestral tree. You don't need to separate them into different datasets. TMG flags and accents and Focus Groups may do what you want. A good example can be found here where Terry describes identifying and accenting with colors people based on their relationship to a reference person.

Let us know your goals and one of us users is bound to have an idea on how to do what you want in TMG.

It seems (see above) that TMG has a major fault in design. One cannot create two projects or two datasets in one project and avoid double data entry. If I'm wrong please advise.

More specifically... I have a project with all my family in one dataset. My goal is to create another project or dataset with duplicate persons and avoid double data entry The solution, it seems, would be to have a parent project or database with children projects or datasets. A change in linking (duplicative) person would be reflected in the parent or child dataset. Is this wrong headed?

Thanks, George

It is good design for TMG to allow as many Projects and Datasets as you desire. Users may use or abuse this design feature anyway that they choose.

What is bad is for a user to employ more than one working dataset. Then you have multiple entry of data problems.

Make all of your additions and changes into your single TMG master dataset. When desired, remake your focus group and then regenerate your separate dataset, if you must have one, with List of...People as previously described. It's not that hard.

To try to avoid getting into semantics, the type of TMG related database that List of People can generate is a dataset. It is a user option whether the secondary output stores that dataset into a new or into an existing Project. A Project is a simple way for multiple datasets to share a single common index, when desired. You can not link persons in one TMG dataset with persons in another. They are separate, regardless of Project structure. Yes, I wish that wasn't so, too.

It is similarly true of generating a SQZ backup file or GEDCOM file. Either is a different and smaller format for storing a single TMG dataset (many files) into a single file, regardless of whether that dataset was in a Project by itself or in a Project with other datasets. The differences between SQZ and GEDCOM formats are: most genealogy programs can read GEDCOM, only TMG can read SQZ. Also, you will loose some data details with GEDCOM.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Thanks Terry, Michael, and Mike. While it seems gruesome to mix thousands of unrelated people in one project, guess that's the answer. And use flags to separate them out as needed.

Note sure this reply will get thru because I can't find a "Send" button or even "Send reply" -- Thanks again, George

Thanks Terry, Michael, and Mike. While it seems gruesome to mix thousands of unrelated people in one project, guess that's the answer. And use flags to separate them out as needed.

Note sure this reply will get thru because I can't find a "Send" button or even "Send reply" -- Thanks again, George

You are most welcome, George,

It may seem "gruesome" to you now at first thought, but if you have the same people duplicated in both datasets, then it seems the two datasets are not really unrelated? :huh: One of the TMG features I find especially useful is the capability to filter in many ways, including based on a flag. As just one example, when you are looking for people either in the Project Explorer or the Picklist you can tell TMG to only list those people that have a certain flag value. For your purposes you might have a separate flag for each "group" you were considering being in a separate project, with simple values of '?/Y/N' for those flags. That way it would be easy for the same person to be 'Y' in multiple groups, but the filter for just one group would work.

Hope this gives you ideas,

And obviously your posting of your reply worked just fine :) If you are having questions about how the Forum works, notice that there is a Help button at the top right of the screen that will show a list of topics, one of which is about Posting questions and replies.

Your message got through with flying colors.

It all depends on your genealogical interests. My interests run from ancestors, to cousins, in-laws, in-laws of relatives, friends, relatives and in-laws of friends, historical and otherwise famous folks, along with the nobility and royalty, etc. It is amazing who is related to whom and in turn to me. With separate datasets one could seldom know.

A quarter of a century and 81,000 people later, my only regret is that I had not started building my lone working dataset sooner and thus be much larger.

I do have several separate datasets in a few projects where I keep (for reference use only) data sent to me by others.

Your interests will probably widen, so please don't throw any data away.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot