Peter Tarkkonen

Wish list - Accent to flag window

Accent feature in TMG is great. This allows to indicate several issues with colour.

I also use many flags for different reasons. And they are very helpfull. But I also have to remember to set them.

When adding a lot of people, sometimes I forget to set some flags (we are human, aren't we?). In order to be precise I have made some error report and they work fine.

However, sort of accent feature in flag window would be a great help.

Example: Living flag should be set and sometimes I forget to ?. If this would be indicated by colour, I would not forget to set it.

Peter

Peter,

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, but I thing you can at least partly solve the problem by adding these Flags to the Add person screen. Then you would see them as you add new people and be reminded to set them correctly. You can do that by opening the Add Person screen (by starting to add a new person) and clicking Setup. On the screen that opens, click the Flags tab, and add the Flags you may want to set for each new person.

Peter,

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for, but I thing you can at least partly solve the problem by adding these Flags to the Add person screen. Then you would see them as you add new people and be reminded to set them correctly. You can do that by opening the Add Person screen (by starting to add a new person) and clicking Setup. On the screen that opens, click the Flags tab, and add the Flags you may want to set for each new person.

Terry,

I tried this flags into entry screen before and it was partly what I am looking for. However I did not like when the flags appear at the top of the person entry screen.

What I was looking for is colours INTO FLAG WINDOW so the flag text (full line) itself is coloured based on its own value.

Example

Ancestor = Y --> Ancestor flag in flag window is green

Ancestor = P (=possible) --> Ancestor flag in flag window blue

etc.

With colours there would be more info available in screen. Ofcause I can see real values of each flag but colour is very effective way to "communicate".

I allready have accent in use and I feel it is a great help.

Peter

I tried this flags into entry screen before and it was partly what I am looking for. However I did not like when the flags appear at the top of the person entry screen.

What I was looking for is colours INTO FLAG WINDOW so the flag text (full line) itself is coloured based on its own value.

Peter

This is an interesting request.

It impacts on

- the flag window,

- flag manager,

- the flag add/edit windows

It would also require a database structure change so that the foreground and background colour for each state of each flag can be stored in the project and be available on the next use of that project.

If the flag feature were ever up for review then this would a worthy enhancement.

Peter

It impacts on

- the flag window,

- flag manager,

It would also require a database structure change so that the foreground and background colour for each state of each flag can be stored in the project and be available on the next use of that project.

If the flag feature were ever up for review then this would a worthy enhancement.

I wonder just what type of performance hit this would cause?

Example

Ancestor = Y --> Ancestor flag in flag window is green

Ancestor = P (=possible) --> Ancestor flag in flag window blue

etc.

With colours there would be more info available in screen. Ofcause I can see real values of each flag but colour is very effective way to "communicate".

Just to be sure I understand...

You are asking that when there are Accents set based on a Flag, that the same Accent color would appear in windows in which the Flag itself appears, such as the Flag drop-down in Add person screen, the Flags window, and the Edit Flag screen. Is that the idea?

That was not how I understood the request, Terry.

I "think" Peter's request is for a completely new color capability that only affects the Flags. I "think" the desire is to be able to define a color setting for each possible value of a Flag when you define the Flag itself. Then whenever you set the Flag to that value the display of the Flag text in the flag box will use the color setting for that value. Did I understand you correctly Peter?

Peter

It impacts on

- the flag window,

- flag manager,

I wonder just what type of performance hit this would cause?

It would have a performance hit while the flag window was open and at every change of focus person. So there should be a preference setting to turn it on/off as the user desires!

That was not how I understood the request, Terry.

I "think" Peter's request is for a completely new color capability that only affects the Flags. I "think" the desire is to be able to define a color setting for each possible value of a Flag when you define the Flag itself. Then whenever you set the Flag to that value the display of the Flag text in the flag box will use the color setting for that value. Did I understand you correctly Peter?

Mike,

that was exactly my idea. You just said it so clear. Thank you!

Peter