MortenM

Serious data corruption

I am running TMG 7.03.0000, Norwegian language version. My database currently contains 4000+ persons.

Recently, I found a large number (several thousand) new events tagged as GEDCOM. They appear to be clones of certain event tags (mainly birth, marriage, death, profession), the originals remaining in place. Some items could even be older versions of edited or deleted events, but I am not absolutely sure of this.

I had a fresh backup, but when restoring it I found the same thing there.

Next, I downloaded John Cardinal's TMG utility to see if I could do a bulk delete. (I understand that Wholly Genes take no responsibility for that program.) Tough luck - I could not even open the file, but got an error message saying

Not a correct index file - unsupported collating sequence

and next:

Error -1 from CTMGDB

Error (-310) Not a Correct Index File opening

In response I rebuilt the index, but to no avail.

I have started deleting the records one by one - very frustrating exercise when you cannot delete them in bulk from the Master Event List. I apparently have to go through the individuals one by one and delete each faulty entry.

Is there anyone out there that can help me?

What has happened and why?

How can I best repair the damage?

Morten Mo, Norway

I don't know how you would get those extra tags, but have you checked that the collating sequence is set correctly for your language in Preferences / Current Project Options / Other / Collate Sequence?

Virginia

Not a correct index file - unsupported collating sequence

See "All Environments", point #2, on this page: http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/known.htm

Before you delete anything, and especially before you use TMG Utility to delete anything, I'd contact support. Several thousand new tags should not appear out of nowhere. You should understand more about the issue before you try fixing it.

Thanks, both, for the tip on the sorting sequence. Tried to reset it to the General option. TMG reindexed the project, but again no luck. :( Have now contacted support, should probably not try too much until they have had a go at it.

Morten Mo :medieval:

Edited by MortenM