DeeWee

TMG very slow

Not a typical TMG problem, but I have been experiencing severe problems lately with TMG. Most of the time start up is very slow. Once started up, everything seems fine, except when adding a source: this takes ages before TMG responds. Also Photoshop elements is responding extremely slowly. The funny thing is that TMG and Photoshop elements are the only programs giving problems. Does anyone have a clue what might cause this problem?

Dirk

Dirk,

Since you are experiencing this with two different programs, my first suggestion would to be to check your computer for any trogans or viruses that are using up memory. Since it's a recent occurrence, my guess is that you have gotten infected somehow.

Dirk,

Since you are experiencing this with two different programs, my first suggestion would to be to check your computer for any trogans or viruses that are using up memory. Since it's a recent occurrence, my guess is that you have gotten infected somehow.

Teresa,

I have a virus scanner en did a scan last week already: no virusses were found. However, I googled a bit and found a rather strange topic about networks and vista causing "not responding" problems. Keeping that in mind, just a while ago, I noticed that the problem disappears when my wife's computer (that is connected through a router to my local network) is turned off. To further check, I disconnected my computer from the network (router) while the other pc was still running and the problem disappeared as well. Don't ask me how this can be explained, but that's just the way it is.

Dirk

You need to do a thorough system security check of your system as Teresa suggested.

After that is done, if the problem started recently and you know when the problem started, you should consider doing a system restore to the last restore point before this issue began.

I'd scan her computer as well. We had an issue a few years ago where one networked computer was infected. If we tried to scan any other computer on the network, it would turn off the scan and report no issues. We had to remove all computers from the network. Scan each. Fix the infected one, and then put them back on the network. Could be something on her computer is just eating up resources, but I think you are close to finding your problem.

There is a known issue.

1) Start TMG on computer A with the projects.

2) Start TMG on computer B and open a project that is located on computer A.

The startup/project load on computer B is very slow in this case.

Don't know about the source issue but it could be for similar reasons.

Hi Dirk,

I hope you have solved the problem by now. I experienced the same problem (very slow startup, then normal) during the last few days on one of my PCs. I found out that the reason was the "default Project Path" in the settings referring to a Path in the network (i.e. on another computer) and the network had changed.

Maybe you have a similar problem. Check all your Path settings in TMG (e.g. there is no need to have the default project path on the network, you may create and/or open a project at any time whereever it is located).

Regards

Hi Dirk,

I hope you have solved the problem by now. I experienced the same problem (very slow startup, then normal) during the last few days on one of my PCs. I found out that the reason was the "default Project Path" in the settings referring to a Path in the network (i.e. on another computer) and the network had changed.

Maybe you have a similar problem. Check all your Path settings in TMG (e.g. there is no need to have the default project path on the network, you may create and/or open a project at any time whereever it is located).

Regards

Hi,

My problem is not yet solved. Yesterday I noticed that the second computer was in a kind of sleep mode (not used for about half an hour) and suddenly switched on as soon as I started up TMG. A LED on that second computer kept on flickering all the time. So, TMG on my computer must be searching for something over the network, but I don't know in what way. Seeing your mail, I checked all paths, but all of them are local paths on my computer.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Regards

Hi,

My problem is not yet solved. Yesterday I noticed that the second computer was in a kind of sleep mode (not used for about half an hour) and suddenly switched on as soon as I started up TMG. A LED on that second computer kept on flickering all the time. So, TMG on my computer must be searching for something over the network, but I don't know in what way. Seeing your mail, I checked all paths, but all of them are local paths on my computer.

Dirk

Even though you've scanned for Viruses, and it reported nothing, doesn't mean you are not infected. Try downloading Malwarebytes, update it fully then do a quick scan. If that finds nothing a Full scan.

I've found that this program has saved many a customer of ours from infection when the likes of AVG/Norton/McAfee etc tell you all is well, but it clearly isn't.

It's free to use and will remove threats you cannot see.

Edited by Neil Grantham

Hi Dirk,

I do not think it is malware. Awakening the second computer when you start TMG on the first one means (at least in my opinion, three decades years computer experience) that TMG is accessing / searching something on the second computer - everything else would be rather improbable though not impossible.

Paths:

default project path in the general options

some path in the settings of the project (configuration, exhibits, timelines, ...)

project path

Do you load the last project automatically, bypassing the welcome window (settings program start)? If yes, you could try to use the welcome window and see when the problem happens - at the program start before the welcome window or when opening a project.

Printers?

I do not know if this could cause a problem during start if some printers used by TMG are defined on the second computer (e.g. PDF-printer)

I think it will be most important to find out *when* during the process the problem occurs. If you have "automated" some steps, try to launch them manually.

Regards

Helmut

Hi Dirk,

I do not think it is malware. Awakening the second computer when you start TMG on the first one means (at least in my opinion, three decades years computer experience) that TMG is accessing / searching something on the second computer - everything else would be rather improbable though not impossible.

Paths:

some path in the settings of the project (configuration, exhibits, timelines, ...)

project path

Do you load the last project automatically, bypassing the welcome window (settings program start)? If yes, you could try to use the welcome window and see when the problem happens - at the program start before the welcome window or when opening a project.

Printers?

I do not know if this could cause a problem during start if some printers used by TMG are defined on the second computer (e.g. PDF-printer)

I think it will be most important to find out *when* during the process the problem occurs. If you have "automated" some steps, try to launch them manually.

Regards

Helmut

Hi Helmut,

I am rather thinking (or hoping) in that direction. The problem already occurs during opening of TMG. If a project is closed (while TMG keeps open) and a new project is opened, things go fast.

What I am wondering, though is, why I cannot just load TMG without a project. Normally I open TMG through a shortcut to my project and the project is opened. However, when I go through Start>TMG, my standard project is opened as well. In that case I would expect TMG just to be started and then offer the possibility to open a project. This does not happen. Any idea why?

Regards,

Dirk

What I am wondering, though is, why I cannot just load TMG without a project.

You can.

File / Preferences / Program Options / Startup and Exit / select 'Show Welcome window'

When TMG is started, the Welcome window will show and no project has been opened yet. You can choose the appropriate next step to take.

Hi Dirk,

Paths:

project path

Printers?

Regards

Helmut

Answering for Afina.

Thanks Helmut!!

Afina's use of TMG on her laptop always slowed to a crawl when the upstairs desktop (with our printer attached to it) was off. She made her default printer a pdf printer on her laptop, and things are speedy once again.

Why would TMG need to check for a printer before printing is contemplated?

All is good now thanks to your advice!

Han (for Afina)

Not a typical TMG problem, but I have been experiencing severe problems lately with TMG. Most of the time start up is very slow. Once started up, everything seems fine, except when adding a source: this takes ages before TMG responds. Also Photoshop elements is responding extremely slowly. The funny thing is that TMG and Photoshop elements are the only programs giving problems. Does anyone have a clue what might cause this problem?

Dirk

Have you defraged your hard-drive, lately? With so many random accesss disk files, so frequently edited, TMG would be more prone to file fragmentation and resulting slow downs than most other programs.

File fragmentation slow down would be particularly noticable on startup, backup, VFI, optimize, if that is a part of your problem. Perhaps, use DEFRAG evey week or two, if you do a lot of TMG editing.

Hope this helps,

Mike Talbot