Patt

Sentence using RP variable

Hi,

I have a role in my birth tag that reads: Another source says [RP:Antoher Source] was born <[D]> <[L]>

The output I'm getting is: Another source says he/she was born circa 1791 at Kingsbury, Washington County, New York.

I was the output: Another source says he was born circa 1791 at Kingsbury, Washington County, New York

I have checked the person sex is male. I have optimized and validated file performance. This happens on more than one individual.

This is not a new role and I don't remember having this problem before.

I tried on the TMG list but no one has come up with a solution.

What am I doing wrong?

Patt Ricketts

I have a role in my birth tag that reads: Another source says [RP:Antoher Source] was born

The output I'm getting is: Another source says he/she was born circa 1791 at Kingsbury, Washington County, New York.

I have checked the person sex is male...

Hi Patt,

You don't say which person you checked. The [RP] variable will return the pronoun based on the person with that role, not based on the person that has this tag. This output is what you would see if the person with this role has their SEX flag set to '?'. Looking at the way your sentence reads, I suspect you really want the pronoun for the person being born, which is probably the Principal of this tag. As this is likely not to be the first sentence in this narrative section, try simply using [P] which should give the appropriate he or she.

%%%%%%%%%%%%

Oops, wrote too quickly without thinking that through. What is unclear is who is assigned this role. If this is the Role sentence then it is to print in that role person's narrative. If you are assigning this role to a Witness then [P] probably won't work. However, if you are assigning this role to the Principal themselves, then [P] probably would work, but then so should the [RP].

Edited by Michael Hannah

Yes, I see in the ListServ that the problem was with the spelling of the role that you assigned the Principal. Glad you found an answer