kahuja

Master Source List

In the Master Place list, TMG provides the ability to click on events to see what event is associated with that place, then you can edit or do whatever you want right there.

In the Master Source List, The title of the source is there, along with the number of times that source was cited...........

Is there an easy way to find those citations?

I am sure there is a way to run a report for it but i am really bad with the reports and never seem to get the results i want, and i would also like the ability to edit while i am in the record directly, like you can with the Master Place list.

I am trying to clean up my data, and strongly suspect that some of my citations are not as i would want them, now that i am more familiar with the program, i do not want to do an edit to the master source until i see how it is used in the various tags.

Is this a wish list request or is there already a way to do this?

Kristina

List of Citations report

filter

Source Number = (source number) END

Alternatively, to be prompted for the source number when the report is run...

Source Number = [?] END

List of Citations report

filter

Source Number = (source number) END

Alternatively, to be prompted for the source number when the report is run...

Source Number = [?] END

If you want a list of all the citations and who they are associaterd with, try this:

List of Citations Report

filter

Source Number > is greater than 0 AND

Source Number < is less than 999

The less than number should be at least 1 larger than your biggest source number.

Vince

If you want a list of all the citations and who they are associaterd with, try this:

List of Citations Report

filter

Source Number

Why do that? The default setting is 'All citations' rather than 'Filtered'. No filter is required to show all citations. You only use a filter when you need to show a subset.

Kristina,

Jim has explained how to find the citations using the List of Citations report. That's the only way to do so currently, and has the advantage of creating a list of all the citations which can be useful to see them all at once.

Still, I think your idea to have direct access from the Master Source List, similar to that available for Events on the Master Place List, is a good one, and I've passed that along to the "wishlist." I think it would be useful in many situations. I have no idea how feasible it might turn out to be to implement - that's something the developers would need to evaluate.

Thanks those were easy, not sure why reports baffle me.......

any idea why the random order of the citations occur?

they are not numerical? they are not most to least, nor are they in creation order?

Kristina

Thanks Terry

Yes, I still think direct link as in the Master Place field would be the easiest, I hope they can implement that,

I created a report and got 135 pages of all my citations, i think that would keep me busy for eons correcting,

Thanks

Kristina

Kristina,

Rather than create one giant report, I use the second filter Jim suggested:

Source Number = [?] End

Then, I put that report on my custom toolbar. That way, running it for any one source is just a matter of clicking to toolbar button and entering the source number.

I see how to add a standard report to the toolbar, can you add the filtered group button to the toolbar?

i think i got it-Run report of specific name?

thanks

Kristina

Edited by kahuja

List of Citations Report

filter

Source Number < is less than 999

Why do that? The default setting is 'All citations' rather than 'Filtered'. No filter is required to show all citations. You only use a filter when you need to show a subset.

Never thought about that. Thanks

Vince

I see how to add a standard report to the toolbar, can you add the filtered group button to the toolbar?

i think i got it-Run report of specific name?

Kristina,

Yes, that's the right toolbar function. But I rather glossed over the proceedure. What's required is this:

1. Open the List of Citations report definition. At the top of the screen, click Add, and give the report a distintive name. You use this named definition for the button, so your use of the "normal" List of Citations report won't result in changes to the version you use with the button.

2. Create the filter, and save it with a distintive name as well. Now that filter's name will be saved with the report you defined above, and it's distintive name will keep you from accidentally changing it when you run a List of Citations manually.

3. Once you have the report working as desired, then add the report, by the name you saved in step 1, to a toolbar button.