Kris Jacobs

V7.04 update problem missing string.fpt

When trying to upgrade from V7.03 to V7.04 I get the following message: Memo File C:\Programdata\the master genealogist V7\string.fpt is missing or invalid.

I have downloaded the update program twice with the same results. I am running Windows Vista Business.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Kris

There are a couple of possibilities. Let's try the easy one first.

Delete the shared user program folder.

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7"

(And when I say delete, I really mean delete the folder, not the folder contents.)

Run TMG and it will be recreated. See if that resolves the issue.

There are a couple of possibilities. Let's try the easy one first.

Delete the shared user program folder.

"C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7"

(And when I say delete, I really mean delete the folder, not the folder contents.)

Run TMG and it will be recreated. See if that resolves the issue.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your response. I am drawing a blank on finding a ‘ProgramData’ folder either on the C drive or in TMG. I deleted the strings.fpt file in the TMG program and ran the V7.04 update. I still get the strings.fpt missing or invalid and the program won't open. The file is listed in the TMG program as a 1 KB file.

Kris

The ProgramData folder may be 'hidden' by default. To view hidden files in Vista Windows Explorer, see instructions here.

You should not delete any files located with the program files. The folder you are asked to delete is in User space.

Virginia

Hi Virginia & Jim

Yes, viewing the hidden files worked. After finding the folder I carried out Jim's instructions. Everything worked great. I am now up and running again.

Thank you both for your help. It saved me a wasted holiday weekend and a lot of stress!

Kris

Hi

I seem to be having the same problem, but the suggested fix did not work for me!

I deleted the shared user program folder "c:\programdata\The Master Genealogist v7" and started TMG. The file was recreated as expected, but trying to upgrade from v7.03 to v7.04 via the help menu/check for upgrade option still gives me the error message.

'No application in c:\program files\the master genealogist v7 is associated with the update engine si it cannot check for updates. Please make sure that this software is installed properly."

Upgrades have worked fine in the past.

TMG support directed me to this forum message topic.

I notice the above was the easy option, looks like I may need the the 'harder' option!

Hope you can help

Ray

Ray, The two issues are completely unrelated. This topic has nothing to do with your issue.

The 'no application' issue has to do with the installer and 'Check for an update'.

Here's how you get around that:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

The fix is very simple.

Edited by Jim Byram

When I try to upgrade the :

Gold UK edition v7.03

I Get:

The Patch File is for the UK Edition of TMG and is not appropriate for you installation.

I am running on Vista Home and have tried running both as a normal user and administrator with the same result.

Any Ideas

Thanks

David

Gold UK edition v7.03

I Get:

The Patch File is for the UK Edition of TMG and is not appropriate for you installation.

I am running on Vista Home and have tried running both as a normal user and administrator with the same result.

Any Ideas

Thanks

David

The installer is looking for the file 'install_uk703.dis' in your TMG program folder. Is the file present? Or any other file named install*.dis.

Also, there is never any need to run the installer as administrator. Don't do that.

Gold UK edition v7.03

I Get:

Any Ideas

Thanks

David

The installer is looking for the file 'install_uk703.dis' in your TMG program folder. Is the file present? Or any other file named install*.dis.

Also, there is never any need to run the installer as administrator. Don't do that. <g>

Jim Thanks for that. I dont have any file install*.dis on my disk. I have a file _install_uk703.log in C:\Users\dchandler\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Logs which is a log of my origional installation.

Thanks for your help

David

Jim Thanks for that. I dont have any file install*.dis on my disk. I have a file _install_uk703.log in C:\Users\dchandler\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Logs which is a log of my origional installation.

That is why the UK update installer won't work. You are sure that you are running a UK installation?

Please make sure that you do not have two TMG7 installations in different program folders.

If you have one installation and are running a UK installation, do the following exactly.

1) Copy the _install_uk703.log file to your desktop.

2) Rename the file to: install_uk703.dis.

3) Move or copy this file into the TMG7 program folder.

4) Run the upgrade installer. Since you downloaded it and ran it once, a copy should be located in your TMG7 program folder. It is named: tmguk7xx704update.exe

That should work.

5) BEFORE you run the updated program, delete the dummy install_uk703.dis file that you added to your TMG7 program folder.

Now you can run the updated installation.