Vince41

Creating a new cemetery report

I am trying to create a report listing all the cemeteries and their addresses in my dataset. The cemeteries were created as unrelated people so I could use them as [P2] for burials (The idea was not mine. Thank you to whoever it was. It let's me keep track of who is burried where.)

This is the setup:

I went to Add/Unrelated Gender/Unknown

Entered the cemetery name with Cemetery acting as Surname

Each cemetery has a Birth tag. The tag contains the date the cemetry opened, name of the cemetery (addressee), Street address (detail), city, county, state, zip, phone no.

I went to Report/List of.. and created a new list called

List of Cemeteries.

filter

Surname = Cemetery END

Next I went to Options/Output Columns. I selected:

Birth group*tag ; Addressee

Place

City

State

Postal

I test the layout by selecting Print Preview. This is the result.

List of Selected People

Birth Addressee----- Birth Place--------- Birth City---------- Birth State--------- Birth Postal--------

San Antonio, Bexar, San Antonio Texas

North Street, Rye, W Rye New York

23 Cottage Pl, Bloom Bloomfield New Jersey

Rye, Westchester, New York

Webster Ave & 233rd Bronx New York 10470

Calvery Cemetery Calvery Cemetery, 49 Woodside New York 11377-7396

Printed on: 15 Feb 2009

Prepared by:

Vincent J Castelli III

24 C Happy Hollow Cir

Stratford, Ct 06614-8412

genealogy411@att.net

203-913-5908

You'll notice that only one cemetery name shows on the report and only 6 addresses show. There are 18 cemeteries in my dataset, all with the complete birth tags.

Did I do something wrong? I've made different lists before with no problems. Please help.

Vince.

P.S. I have .jpg's (screenshots) of the screens in the report section and the Birth tag for one of the cemeteries if you want to see what I set up.

Vince

Screenshots here. Scroll down to see.

I have reset the Output Columns in Options to look like this:

Name group#tag =Given Last Name

Birth group*tag = Birth detail 2

Birth city

Birth state

Birth zip

Birth phone

The only thing that will not come up on the report is Birth detail 2, the street address.

Vince

Vince -

I don't know that it will make a difference, but have you checked your Surety settings for that report? To get everyone, the Surety should be set to both 'No threshold' and 'Include blank surety'.

Virginia

Vince -

I don't know that it will make a difference, but have you checked your Surety settings for that report? To get everyone, the Surety should be set to both 'No threshold' and 'Include blank surety'.

Virginia

Virginia,

Those options don't show up anywhere in the Report function for this list. But I found the problem. When you set up a Name and Address report, which this is, I assumed you would use Birth Tag Place Detail 2 for the street address. That's wrong. You have to use Birth tag Place Detail. Anything else shows up as blank. Now that I don't understand. I thought (1) was Addressee, (2) Street Address, etc. Was I wrong?

Vince

The column for the Detail field is:

Birth Group* tag; Place Detail

You can order the columns on the Output Columns form as you wish.

You are being very imprecise in the terminology that you are using. For example, I can't see above that you ever said that you are using the List of People report. If you would be more precise, it would help people to answer your questions.

The Detail field like all memo fields can be divided into 9 parts, each separated by '||' characters. See the Memo topic in help.

Birth Group* tag; Place Detail 2

refers to the second of those 9 parts. Since you weren't using this ability, the second part would be empty and that is what you saw in your report output. So to output the Detail field without any such subparts, you would want to use:

So your output columns should be:

Name Group* tag; Given Last Names

Birth Group* tag; City

Birth Group* tag; State

Birth Group* tag; Postal

Birth Group* tag; Phone

So you were very close to the correct list. Many of my cemeteries are outside of any city or town so I also use a Birth Group* tag; County column.

Vince -

I noticed that this morning in your screenshots. You ran into the 'Place Detail' feature. From Help:

"Place Detail

The Detail field may be divided into as many as nine parts separated by two vertical lines (||). Each part may be accessed separately in narrative reports. If you are leaving any blank fields between the separators, you can enter a space so that you can see more easily how many fields you have skipped. In other words, |||| will work, but you should always use || || since it is easier to see that you have a blank field."

And you're right - there are no surety settings on the List of People (LOP).

I'm glad you found the problem. Looks like a nice system you've set up.

Virginia

Hi Vince,

You are being misled by the column field name. The Place Detail field is one place field but can be separated into nine subparts using the double vertical bars '||' like memos can. 'Place Detail 2' is asking for the second subfield in the Detail field. If you want the Detail field of Place and have not subdivided that field, then you probably want just Place Detail. Place Detail is the second Place field, Addressee the first, City the third, etc. If you just use Place, then check the settings you want on the separate Places tab in the Report Options.

Hi Vince,

You are being misled by the column field name. The Place Detail field is one place field but can be separated into nine subparts using the double vertical bars '||' like memos can. 'Place Detail 2' is asking for the second subfield in the Detail field. If you want the Detail field of Place and have not subdivided that field, then you probably want just Place Detail. Place Detail is the second Place field, Addressee the first, City the third, etc. If you just use Place, then check the settings you want on the separate Places tab in the Report Options.

To all,

I would like to thank all of you for your help in pointing out things I should have seen but didn't.

Vince