When I produce a Family Group Report in the French language, words

such as: relationships Père; Mère; Fille; Fils

and names of the 12 months translate

while the four BMDB remain in English.

Birth, Marriage, Death, Burial

instead of French.

La naissance, le Mariage, la Mort, l'Ensevelissement

What do I need to do to change this?

I suspect the problem is you are using an older Project, which was first created before Tag translations were included in various languages. To test this, go to the Master Tag Type List, select the Birth Tag for example, and click Edit. On the Roles and Sentences tab, change the Language setting at the top to French. If the sentence disappears, that confirms the issue. (If there is a Sentence in French, something else is wrong).

If I have correctly identified the issue, fix it like this, using TMG's Translate feature:

1. Create a new empty Project. Use the File > New Project menu command. Give it a name, and when prompted, say that it is for data entry. When the New Project Wizard asks you start inputting data, click Cancel.

2. Close that Project and open your working Project.

3. Open the Master Tag Type list (Tools menu)

4. Click the Translate button, and click OK on the message box that appears.

5. Select the empty Project you just created on the "Select translations to import" screen and click the Select button.

6. In the dialog that appears, click Yes to copy Sentences as well as Label, Past Tense, and Abbreviation fields.

7. You then see a series of dialogs for each language present. Click Yes for those languages you want copied (French, others if you like), and No for those you want to skip. Be sure to say No for your normal Language, which I assume is English US or English UK.

8. Click Yes on the final confirmation screen to complete the process.

You should now be able to output your report in French. Of course, this only translates the phrases added by the Sentences - it does not translate any data you entered (other than regular dates). Also, if you have customized Tag Types, they will not be translated, but you can do that yourself. For Family Group Sheets, you only need to translate Tag Label, not the Sentences.

I suspect the problem is you are using an older Project, which was first created before Tag translations were included in various languages. ......

Also, if you have customized Tag Types, they will not be translated, but you can do that yourself.

This would also be my assumption although standard tag type translations -including BMDB- were included i.e. for French at least in TMG Version 5.15 which was the current TMG Version until the end of 2004.

So it could also well be that Patrick uses customized Tag Types for BMDB and that's the reason why "out-of-the-box" French translations are missing.

Terry,

Your answer was spot on.

AND your step by step remedy was immediately effective.

As you know, we use your Primer each month during TMG discussions with Sue Johnston and Kay Speaks.

Many thanks, Patrick

Your answer was spot on.

AND your step by step remedy was immediately effective.

Great! There are still a number of us with Projects that date from version 4 and before that have that issue. :)

As you know, we use your Primer each month during TMG discussions with Sue Johnston and Kay Speaks.

I'm glad to hear you are still finding it useful. As you probably know, Sue was very helpful in suggesting ways to improve the text while I was writing it. I'm quite sure she was responsible for my totally re-writing the section on Source Element Groups at least three times. :(

Many thanks

You are very welcome.