Bill Smith

Large PDF File Size

When I create a Family Group Sheet or Endnotes report using PDF output, the file size is unusally large. For example, an Endnotes.PDF file containing just five lines of text is 809KB in size. I'm using TMG 7.04. Using TMG 6.12, the file size would have been a fraction of this. This is a problem, especially when I want to e-mail the file as an attachment. What is causing this?

I have always found TMG's PDF files to be very large, they were often 10x larger than another PDF program I use. As you say there now seems to be a bigger problem.

I just did a test with a small individual narrative of about 10 lines, using TMG's PDF function the file was 640k, using my other PDF printer (PDF Creator www.pdfforge.org) the file was only 7k.

:huh:

I had this same problem which I could not understand as one of the main advantages of PDF files are that in many cases they use much less space and great for emailing. After analysing the output in Adobe Acrobat, it transpired that most of the space was being used by embedded fonts. So I looked around at TMG's report settings.

This example is for Descendancy Narrative, but I think it's the same whatever the report.

<> In Report destination select Save to file type Acrobat (PDF)

<> click on Properties

<> you should notice a tick box, "Embed all fonts" set to off.

You will notice a massive difference in space used. I suppose that theoretically you could have some font substitutions when viewed on some PCs, but as long as you keep to standard fonts there should not be a problem. Experiment.

Whilst there is a section in the TMG help on PDF properties, I cannot find a reference to "Embed all fonts". As this seems to be the default, I imagine that many people are creating unnecessarily massive PDF files. These are the little niggles that are so easily fixed, yet can cause so much frustration.

Hope that works for you.

Jim Orrell