cassin

box size in ancestor box chart

How do you edit the height of one box in the ancestor box chart - I deleted some text in the box and now have blank space in the box so I would like to decrease the height. Thank you.

How do you edit the height of one box in the ancestor box chart - I deleted some text in the box and now have blank space in the box so I would like to decrease the height. Thank you.

It depends on what you did.

If you deleted all the contents from the _last data line_ in the box then use right-click Delete a Line.

If you deleted all the contents from _any other data line_ in the box then you have to move up the data in the lines below in sequence until the last line is blank, then you can delete it. The moving operation can be done by double clicking a line you want to move then CTRL+C (copy) and then double-click the line where you want to place that text and CTRL+V (paste).

It is unfortunate that there is not a Delete Selected Line item in the right click menu.

On change of focus away from the box the box will be redrawn to the reduced size.

WARNING - Do not remove lines from boxes in descendant charts that use the UK style of marriage lines as this will cause the marriage lines to tilt.

Robin, Thank you so much - I can't believe I didn't see "delete a line". I am also having trouble with the Data box when you configure a chart - the option where you can tell what tags to include in the box. I have selected specific tags but the default ones (b,m,d) keep showing up - not the ones I pick. Any suggestons? I really appreciate the time you took to answer my post.

Cassin,

A couple of ideas:

Are mofiting the settings in the default chart name or in a configuration that you have saved under a new name? I would always advise that you use the add button and create configuration for this use. When you do it is often that you forget to select it before you nake another version of the chart. So make the new config run the chart, see what you want to change. Use the Last Used Reports item at the bottom of the Reports Menu to select that name again and this trap is avoided.

I presume that you have made the approrpiate changes for *each* of the box types. One test - make your changes then don't run the chart - click [save Settings] instead. Now go back and open your chart configuration and look at you data types settings - have they stuck?

Robin

Robin, Thank you so much - I can't believe I didn't see "delete a line". I am also having trouble with the Data box when you configure a chart - the option where you can tell what tags to include in the box. I have selected specific tags but the default ones (b,m,d) keep showing up - not the ones I pick. Any suggestons? I really appreciate the time you took to answer my post.

This action is controlled by the chart definition options in TMG, not VCF.

The next time you run a VCF box chart (of any of the 3 kinds) in TMG, press options on the report definition screen, then other.

Under miscellaneous, check word wrap (not necessary to your problem, but a good idea) and remove blank lines.

If I understood your question, properly, this should fix it.

Experiment with the box chart options in TMG, there are many that you might like. When you find options that you like, consider making those changes in all 3 box chart TMG report definitions.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

This action is controlled by the chart definition options in TMG, not VCF.

The next time you run a VCF box chart (of any of the 3 kinds) in TMG, press options on the report definition screen, then other.

Under miscellaneous, check word wrap (not necessary to your problem, but a good idea) and remove blank lines.

If I understood your question, properly, this should fix it.

Experiment with the box chart options in TMG, there are many that you might like. When you find options that you like, consider making those changes in all 3 box chart TMG report definitions.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

As Mike suggested, it is generally a good idea to select 'Remove blank lines' in the report options. That will remove blank lines in the chart boxes where no tag exists. If the blank lines in the chart box result from deleting data from the box, Robin's instructions will remove those lines and resize the box height.

Virginia