I'm trying to make an Exhibit folder tree to place all my exhibits in folders like windows explorer does. I have the main folder as Exhibits, then folders in it like Death, Birth, Census, Marriage, People and so on.

I have TMG's prefrence for Exhibit folder set to Exhibits, but it keeps telling me folder not found and wants to know if I want to use the defult folder.

How do I set up an Exhibit Folder Tree so I can sort all my exhibits into diferent folders.

Or do I have to save them all into one Exhibit folder and just give each exhibit a descriptive name?

Which is the best way?

I have TMG's prefrence for Exhibit folder set to Exhibits, but it keeps telling me folder not found and wants to know if I want to use the defult folder.

What's the path? The Preferences Exhibits field requires a full path.

The Exhibits folder needs to be in valid user space. If you make a tree, the Preferences Exhibits path should point to the base of the tree.

Keep in mind, that if you store your exhibits in a tree (which is fine), you need to manage your exhibits outside of TMG and should not include them when doing a backup since the restore function can't reconstruct your tree.

What's the path? The Preferences Exhibits field requires a full path.

The Exhibits folder needs to be in valid user space. If you make a tree, the Preferences Exhibits path should point to the base of the tree.

Keep in mind, that if you store your exhibits in a tree (which is fine), you need to manage your exhibits outside of TMG and should not include them when doing a backup since the restore function can't reconstruct your tree.

The exhibit path I have is now C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits

Do I have to add every folder in the exhibit folder to the path name, like below?

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\People\Census\Death\Birth\Marriage (and so on?)

Or would it be best if I store all exhibits in the one Exhibit folder and just give each exhibit a descriptive name like DeathCert_221_1

221 is the person ID number and the #1 is for exhibit number 1.

The exhibit path I have is now C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits

That's fine.

Do I have to add every folder in the exhibit folder to the path name, like below?

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\People\Census\Death\Birth\Marriage (and so on?)

No. Like I said, the path in Preferences should point to the base of the tree.

Or would it be best if I store all exhibits in the one Exhibit folder and just give each exhibit a descriptive name like DeathCert_221_1

221 is the person ID number and the #1 is for exhibit number 1.

That's your choice. You can use one folder or a tree. Personally, I use one folder and have a pattern for each filename like you suggested doing. But you should do what works best for you. If you use one folder, you can backup and restore your exhibits with your project.

That's your choice. You can use one folder or a tree. Personally, I use one folder and have a pattern for each filename like you suggested doing. But you should do what works best for you. If you use one folder, you can backup and restore your exhibits with your project.

Has anything been said about the possibility that version 8 might permit a whole exhibit tree to be backed up? That would surely be an enhancement of the enormous power we get from being able to incorporate documents like marriage & death certificates directly into the program.

Good wishes to all.

formerprof