kahuja

adding photos

i recently changed all my internal photos to external.

i have my exhibits stored in two places, one is stored on hard drive by family

then when i add to TMG, i put a copy in my TMG exhibit folder,

so it involves several steps,

one -adding to tmg exhibit from my hard drive

second- when i am in the exhibits, i click on properties -click on save as -and change that to the exhibit path to put copy of the exhibit in my TMG exhibit folder

is this the easiest way to do this???

thanks

Kristina

That's extremely confusing. You need to try again. At the least, you appear to be making things much harder than necessary.

Why do you have exhibits stored in two places?

Have you ever tried to drag-and-drop a file from a Windows Explorer view of the hard drive folder into the Exhibit Log?

Keep in mind...

1) You can store your exhibits anywhere you wish (in a valid user folder).

2) You have no need to have two copies and copy a file to link the file to TMG.

3) If your exhibits are stored in a single folder, you can back them up and restore them using TMG.

4) If your exhibits are in a tree, you need to back them up and maintain them outside of TMG.

i think i am making things more complicated but not sure why....or how not to??

when i get a document i keep it in a file organized by family in the desk, then i scan it in and put it in a similar file on my hard drive.

Each family has a file where i keep documents that pertain to that family, both in the desk and on my hard drive.

I then put a copy of that document or photo in TMG.

I was not successful in leaving the link directly to that file on my hard drive bc sometimes i reorganize and clean up that family folder and make subfolders if i get a lot of DC, obit, photos, headstones, or collateral line information, then the link is lost if i move the photos to a subfolder :sad:

so i made an exhibit folder that i put all exhibits in with TMG after they are linked to the family.

I have not been able to drag and drop exhibits with TMG, i have seen posts to do that but it doesnt work for me.....again not sure why?? i am using VISTA home and have TMG 7.04

currently i have alot of photos and documents that i have not added to TMG, as i just started using TMG about 6 months ago,

and thanks to modern technology i have been able to collect documents and photos faster than i can extract the data from them and place them in TMG.

so i guess ideas on how people deal with their exhibits, storage and filing would be helpful.

Thanks

Kristina

(I have a removable hard drive that I use to make sure I have all my exhibits backed up encase of a disaster)

I make a folder for every person in my family tree (only when I have exhibits for them)

The folder has the persons full name and ID number.

When I add a photo this is how I name each photo.

photo_3654_1 (Try not to use dashes, comcast has problems using them, so only use underscore)

photo tells me the exhibit a photo, or I name it portrait if it's a portrait.

the first number after the description and underscore is the persons ID Number.

The last number after the second underscore is the number for the exhibit.

Something like = photo_3654_1 photo_3654_2 photo_3654_3 portrait_3654_1 portrait_3654_2 Run all your photos by ID number and in exhibit count, then run all your portraits the same, and census the same and so on.

I try to use very short names, due to older computers have problems reading the long names.

Then I have one folder in TMG named exhibits that I drag each exhibit to just before adding them from their to the TMG Tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you want an easier way to do your exhibits, you could name each exhibit as above and just place them in the one folder named Exhibits in TMG, and make backups of that folder at the end of each day after you add new exhibits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself, I like having a folder with each persons name, It allows me to be able to locate exhibits faster without starting TMG when I have someone request copies of my exhibits by E-Mail.