Bruce Fairhall

Report Generation Error

A call of frustration from "down under"!!

I am running TMG 7.03 on an XP (SP3) system (32 bit).

Back in mid-January, after a few weeks of TMG inactivity, I tried to run a Report with output to a .RTF file, but after the usual number of people/generations etc.messages I got an error message:

"Conversion error #3: Could not create or open CONV_LOG.TXT on scratch drive."

So I did the usual things, rebuilt the data, ran VFI, rebooted etc. but same problem. I tried several Reports and same brick wall. I could not create files for a word processor at all (.RTF, .DOC etc.)

I filled out a support request and several suggestions were followed to check permissions, user log ins, run in Safe Mode etc. but still no success.

So I uninstalled TMG fully, including deleting all remnant folders. Rebooted and reinstalled it.

Now the error is different! It is:

"Cannot find d:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist 7\Wordproc\wpt.sp1 (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filenames are correct and that all required libraries are available."

At TMG Support's suggestion, I installed Dependency Walker to log Windows processes while TMG ran, but there was apparently nothing in that log to help them.

In the case of both TMG Error messages, the program locks completely at that point. Pressing on OK does nothing. The only way out is to stop the process via Task Manager, and then TMG continues by writing and opening a blank file. So it would appear that it is the step between generating the output and actually writing it to the file that is the problem.

I can write to .PDF and to Screen, so the data is being generated.

On the TMG Forum there is a similar occurrence recorded by Jim Orrell (13 Nov 2008): "Sometime ago I had a problem printing word processor reports in Windows XP. I eventually traced the problem to letting Advanced Windowscare System Optimization set:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation current value as 1

This effectively stopped TMG running word processor reports as they used a 16 program. OK that problem fixed."

>>> I'm not sure about this, as he said it "stopped TMG running word processor reports" but fixed the problem. Thoughts, please?

There was another Forum thread with EXACTLY my problem from Irene Schnarps (Print to File output does not work properly) in February, and after a few weeks she apparently gave up and decided to move to a different genealogy program. That's a bit how I'm feeling at present. :grrr:

I'm putting this question here in the hope that someone else may have had the problem and solved it. The combined efforts of Phil DeSilva, Dorothy Turner and TMG Programmers have just come up against a brick wall. I'm getting just a little desperate at the lack of functionality in my program, and the fact that everything else on my computer that I have tried over this two month period is working as expected, so the problem seems unique to TMG.

Bruce Fairhall

Was that a solution?

This part of the problem report sets off bells and whistles: "This error comes after a thorough cleaning of my computer..."

Using what, I wonder?

Thanks Virginia (and Jim)

I had been down the TEMP path with Phil DeSilva, and had to check out my Path settings etc. but they were judged to be normal - or at least not causing the problem.

My Program IS held on the D: drive (partition) but Phil and the team thought my setup was OK so I didn't want to fiddle more.

I had hoped the reinstallation of TMG might help, but it just changed the error message (is that significant) at the same point in the process.

I remain optimistic.

Bruce Fairhall

I had hoped the reinstallation of TMG might help, but it just changed the error message (is that significant) at the same point in the process.

The change in the error message with a TMG reinstallation has been seen in a previous case. However, the reinstallation of TMG didn't help because the problem is not coming from TMG as I explained.

The solution in that post appears to have been applicable to the path of the scratch drive relative to the installation location (the d: drive in Bruce's case).

Installing TMG on the D: drive and having the temp folder on the C: drive which is the normal location of the temp folder is a non-issue.

Basied on Tony Hall's post on the mail list regarding Jim Orrell's fix for a similar wp problem, I sent a REG file to Bruce to test.

FOR FORUM MEMBERS' INFORMATION:

This problem has now (finally) been solved.

It was caused probably by some "Optimiser" changing a Registry setting.

With Jim Byram's help over the last couple of days (our time difference slows communication down a bit!) it has now been undone, though there is a flow-on to other programs that were modified/installed in the time since the Registry was changed.

There is a notice in the latest TMG/Whollygenes Newsletter for any other sufferers to contact Phil DeSilva at Whollygenes, so your report generation error can be fixed.

My sincere appreciation to all who helped attack this problem.

Bruce Fairhall