Neil Grantham

SealSpouse, Endowment etc.

After merging in a relatives Gedcom file, I find lots of occurences of Tags such as Endowments, SealSpouses etc.

Can anyone recommend a website that explains what these are (or explain them here), as many seem to be years after the persons death?

Not sure whether to keep them or not.

Many thanks.

Neil

These tags refer to ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and may be performed on behalf of a deceased person, using genealogical information. There is an explanation of the ordinances here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinance_(Latter_Day_Saints).

You might want to keep them for now in case they contain or refer to sources or data of interest.

Virginia

These tags refer to ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and may be performed on behalf of a deceased person, using genealogical information. There is an explanation of the ordinances here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinance_(Latter_Day_Saints).

You might want to keep them for now in case they contain or refer to sources or data of interest.

Virginia

Thank you Virginia,

Very useful, BUT....

Most if not all of these tags seem to occur in 2002, often decades (or centuries) after the persons death, which is what really puzzles me.

Is this possibly a case of the person recording these events 'for the sake of it' as they assume they would of happened. I can't contact the person who sent me the file (other side of the planet/email bouncing) to ask them what these are all about. Indeed I don't know what program created the Gedcom to know if somehow the LDS data was messed up.

For example, there are Baptisms recorded in 2002 (decades/centuries) later. The Wiki states that Baptism is required for 'exaltation' and clearly can't happen when they are dead!

Please read the wiki article that Virginia referred you to. It answers your questions.

"In addition, after Latter-day Saints enter the temple and receive temple ordinances for themselves, they may return and perform the saving ordinances on behalf of their deceased ancestors..."

Please read the wiki article that Virginia referred you to. It answers your questions.

"In addition, after Latter-day Saints enter the temple and receive temple ordinances for themselves, they may return and perform the saving ordinances on behalf of their deceased ancestors..."

Ah, I missed that bit!