E Wilcock

Dots showing on charts with no boxes

I have made a descendents box chart with no boxes as per the example on Wholly Genes site.

The boxes do not show up but I have lots of dots showing on the print out. As if from the grid.

What are they and how do I get rid of them?

There are no dots for the new boxes I created to hold text within vcf.

I have done a great deal of work editing this chart - learning to use vcf - and I do not want to have to go back to TMG.

Evelyn -

It sounds like what you are seeing are the connecting Ports on the boxes. Be sure you have Ports turned off (unchecked) in VCF > View before printing your chart. The shortcut Ctrl-M also controls the display of those Ports.

If the new boxes you created do not display the ports, you probably made them using a Text box - which does not have Ports. Note that there is an option on the Symbols toolbar to insert a box - or a shadow box if you are using shadows - which includes the Ports, so you can connect those boxes with other boxes.

Virginia

It sounds like what you are seeing are the connecting Ports on the boxes. Be sure you have Ports turned off (unchecked) in VCF > View before printing your chart. The shortcut Ctrl-M also controls the display of those Ports.

Thanks so much Virginia. Yes, I created text boxes.

No, these are not just ports. Though they might be. They fall on the lines of my "not visible" boxes. They are on the title box too. But I did not have ports checked to show. I looked at that many times and also general properties. I also tried with saved previous versions.

I will look for instructions on how to upload my chart image to this board so you can see.

Evelyn

Later - well, I dont know what happened but when I saved the chart as a new version (the fifth) and opened that to reply to you, the View Port box was checked and when I unchecked it, the marks disappeared.

It must have been a fleeting bug and spontaneously sorted itself?

I owe you so much Virginia. It looks as if I shall manage this vcf after all.

Evelyn

The boxes do not show up but I have lots of dots showing on the print out. As if from the grid.

What are they and how do I get rid of them?

That sounds like you have the "grid" turned on in the View menu.