colin

Report multiple exhibits attached to person?

I've scoured help, faqs and forums. I want to display multiple exhibits attached to a person and have them appear on reports. The only way I have gotten them to appear is to choose to show all variations of event tags, which doesn't make any sense anyway, because the exhibits aren't attached to events. They're attached to the person. This "show all variations" option would be fine, except that it ruins the narrative (I end up with 14 "He lived at..."). What am I doing wrong?

p.s. I have "all images" checked under "for each person include"

Edited by colin

What report type?

It sounds to me like some of the exhibits are linked to events.

If you want all person exhibits, you select 'For each person, include' / 'All images'.

And do not select 'Include event exhibits' if you don't want event exhibits.

In a narrative report, all of the person exhibits will appear before the subject's section.

Event exhibits are output as part of the sentence for the event.

What report type?

I was trying an individual narrative, but this question applies to any of the reports that show exhibits attached to persons, as per the help menu.

It sounds to me like some of the exhibits are linked to events.

As I stated, the exhibits are not linked to events. They are linked to persons. To confirm this, I sorted for events in the exhibit view, and the event exhibits appeared, but when I sorted for a person, the event exhibits did not appear. However, the person exhibits did. This would imply that the links were to the person, not the events. That's what doesn't make any sense to me. It really does seem that the exhibits are attached to events (because they only appear on the report if click the box to include event exhibits), but the exhibit view is undeniably clear that the exhibits in question are not seen by the program as event exhibits. My suspicion is that this has something to do with the how the exhibits are imported from FTM 2009. What you're saying (that it seems like the exhibits are attached to events) is perfectly logical, but it simply isn't what the program was telling me.

If you want all person exhibits, you select 'For each person, include' / 'All images'.

As I stated, I did this.

And do not select 'Include event exhibits' if you don't want event exhibits.

Yes. Did this.

In a narrative report, all of the person exhibits will appear before the subject's section.

Event exhibits are output as part of the sentence for the event.

Yes, understood.

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand that this forum is made up of volunteers. I purchased this program for one feature: the ability to import from FTM 2009 and publish html reports which include multiple exhibits linked to individuals. I have determined that it cannot do this. I created a test file, inside of TMG, which worked flawlessly, so I know that the problem is not a matter of my not understanding how to do it. I believe there is something borked about the import from FTM 2009. I came back to reply on this forum to make this known to the developers and other users. Please don't read this post as a grumpy "I'm leaving!" I just wanted to pass on the info. Maybe I'll check back in a few months and see if it's been fixed.

Thanks.

The problem is that, in FTM 2008/2009, an event exhibit is also seen as a person exhibit. I dealt with this issue while the import was being developed and took it as far as it could be taken. I'll do some further testing.

I want to thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand that this forum is made up of volunteers. I purchased this program for one feature: the ability to import from FTM 2009 and publish html reports which include multiple exhibits linked to individuals.

Colin,

I can't comment on the issue of importing exhibits from FTM. I can say that TMG can attach multiple exhibits to people and various other records including events, sources, citations, and places. Second Site 2 can include all the exhibits, attached to any or all of the record types listed above, in HTML pages. I think you have more control over the output when you attach exhibits to events, but you can certainly attach 1, 2, 5, 10, or 100 exhibits to a person and they will all appear on the page (or linked from the page, if you prefer).

On this example page, there are multiple events attached to records associated with the subject. There is a primary person exhibit (embedded on the page, but could be linked), there is a non-primary person exhibit (linked via the camera icon, but could be embedded), and there are various exhibits attached to events that are all linked (but could be embedded).

The example includes only two exhibits that are attached to the person record of the subject, but there is no practical limit to the number of exhibits that could be attached to a person. Only one can be primary; the function of the primary designation is to pick an image as the one to use when only one image can be shown. Second Site gives precedence to the primary image (it appears first), but the other person exhibits are eligible for the same treatment on the page (embedded or linked).

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve on HTML pages, but you can do a lot with exhibits in Second Site.

Colin,

I see no issue with person vs. event image import.

I need a database from you to test with a subset of your people and the appropriate image exhibits.

You can contact me by email by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

I decided to give it another shot, reinstalled the program, and it worked perfectly. I didn't do anything differently with TMG, but I have done extensive modification of the media files in Family Tree Maker in the last month. I suspect I unwittingly made some change that allowed TMG to import properly. In any case, problem solved.

I decided to give it another shot, reinstalled the program, and it worked perfectly. I didn't do anything differently with TMG, but I have done extensive modification of the media files in Family Tree Maker in the last month. I suspect I unwittingly made some change that allowed TMG to import properly. In any case, problem solved.

Hello Colin

I have no answer for you but you may be a ble to help me please. I transferred some data into Family Tree Maker (the person who gave me the information installed it on my computer). I am now looking at where I go from here. I only need to transfer one large line from the whole file he gave me in FTM

Did you find a source on how to just merge into my main TMG database one file only? My data base is over 6,000 names and very comprehesive as just reaching the end of 30 yrs work. So do not want to merge all my data as mine is comprehesive and correct.

I wouldn't have asked if I had not seen your post as I havent checked any other sources re this TMG problem and like you apprciate people are giving their time voluntarily..

kind regards

I'm sorry, Kaye. I'm just starting to figure out TMG myself. I'd just be guessing if I tried to help. I would suggest starting a new thread.