Hi

I am trying to add a new button to the toolbar. It is a 'specific tag' which I have already created, but I am getting the message "Alias items is not found 29 FRM Custom2.MsaveTBR"

What does that mean?

It's a bug of some sort.

Please provide an exact step-by-step to replicate the error.

Don't see anything like this that has been reported and fixed but still looking.

%%%%%%%%%%

I've tested the basic process and can get no error.

Edited by Jim Byram

My difficulty with custom and UK tags reported as "not found" when accessed from a custom tool bar has some similarities and is still in the hands of tech help.

It was previously discussed as buttons not sticking, but my impression was that it only affected custom and UK census tags. I use Windows xp.

Evelyn

Further details:

I created a Research tag some while back and it works fine when selected from list of tags.

I have also created others without problems.

I have added buttons to the custom toolbar recently (specific back up, and narrative reports) and they work OK.

Current problem occurs after the following

Click view/toolbar/customize

Click 'add tag of a specific type' in the unused pane

Click 'add' move to left pane

(also added a space bar at the same time)

Click 'Picture' or click button example box and choose 'pen' symbol (Tried description instead of picture but still the same result)

Tool tip = add a research tag

Tag type label = research (chosen from the list after clicking on the '...' search box)

Click OK and get the error message "Alias items is not found 29 FRM Custom2.MsaveTBR"

The button does appear on the custom toolbar OK but trying to use it will only give the message "'research' not found for current data set. It is in the data set because I can select it from the list of tags.

I am using latest V7 UK edition on Win Vista

Ray

The button does appear on the custom toolbar OK but trying to use it will only give the message "'research' not found for current data set. It is in the data set because I can select it from the list of tags.

Ray,

Does your Project contain more than one Data Set?

Do you work with more than one project?

Tech help told me they couldn't replicate my problem.

Like yours it involves only custom of UK tags in the UK edition of TMG 7.

But I have spent this evening trying out ways of correcting a project. Then opening another Project. Then a third. And going back to the first which I see has lost it again.

I have asked the tech people to clarify the extent to which layouts and tool bars are shared between projects and whether alterations to a tool bar must be saved in a layout.

Sometimes tonight I got a message like yours. That a Tag is not present in a Project when of course it is. I found that sorting out the first census tag seemed to make the others findable.

At other times a fictional name is created for the Tags and then you have to go through each, renaming them.

Evelyn

Ray,

Does your Project contain more than one Data Set?

Terry

No just the one Data Set in the Project I am using. I do have other Projects used infrequently.

Ray

Evelyn,

Layouts are program features.

Custom toolbars are program features.

Tag types are data set features.

So if you have a custom toolbar in a layout with a button to add a specified custom tag type and try to use that button in a data set that does not include the custom tag type, there will likely be an error message.

Ray says that is not his issue.

Jim

Evelyn -

Toolbars (*.tbr) and layouts (*.lo) are text files (which you can open in a text editor like Notepad). These files are stored in the User Program Data Files location. By default, that location is

Windows Vista:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Note that both layouts and toolbars are stored in a location under a specific username. Those toolbar and layout files can be accessed from any project. When you save a layout which includes a toolbar, the name of that toolbar is saved in the .lo file. If you save the toolbar after you add the new button, I would expect the layout to call that saved toolbar - but it would not hurt to resave the layout just in case.

The .tbr file lists all the items on the toolbar, numbered and in the order they appear on the toolbar, for example from my custom toolbar:

item17=Add a tag of a specific type

The 'specific type' is named further down the page, in a second list of the toolbar items. This list includes the text for the button (if you use text instead of an icon) or points to the location of the icon if you use an icon, the Tooltip, and then specifies a Parameter naming the specific tag - CEN-1860 in this case:

[item17]

Picture=C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\buttons\B_dkBlue2.bmp

Tooltip=1860

Parameter=CEN-1860

You might check your .tbr file and see if that Parameter is correctly specified for your custom tag type.

Does the problem occur in both the Netbook and your other computer?

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you for this reply which I will look into. I may not have time till Monday. You ask if it happens on my main computer or just the net book. The error in closing Visual Fox pro was special to the Netbook but has not recurred.

This problem and any other problems I may have reported - research Log etc - occurs on my main home computer. Windows xp home plus TMG 7 UK edition.

I don't know whether it happens on the new Netbook as well because I used it on two trips for reference only and no data entry. But I assume that it would manifest the same.

In the past, it was not my habit to save the layout so I imagined this was causing the problem.

But last night, I repeatedly saved the layout (overwriting the previous) but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

I have also tried OK ing each re-edited button individually rather than re attaching them all. That too made no difference.

I did discover last night that one doesn't actually need to go into the tag list and reattach - if a button has been allocated a new (wrong) census name - usually composed of extra numbers, one can reattach the button by just typing the correct name into the slot.

I experience the problem not just with my custom tags but with UK census tags.

My custom tool bar has buttons for each of the UK census tags (including 1911 which I added as a custom tag), Occupation - with which no problem, Research Note's and (formatting tag) New Paragraph.

Since I may well have created my custom tags with variations in my different Projects I think it best to concentrate on why the problem occurs with the UK census tags which were created by Wholly Genes for the UK edition - presumably using the same create new tag procedure as we all use when creating new tags.

I am grateful for your interest. Over the last winter (tutored by yourself and others)I have begun to use many facilities of TMG which I did not before. May be I am the first person using the TMG UK edition to use a custom tool bar with buttons to the UK specific tags?

Edited by E Wilcock

Evelyn -

When you attach a specific tag to the toolbar, try using the Select button (with the ... on it) at the end of the Tag Type Label field, so you are actually selecting the tag type, rather than typing in the name. I don't know that it would make a difference in general, but does removes the chance of a typo.

Virginia

May be I am the first person using the TMG UK edition to use a custom tool bar with buttons to the UK specific tags?

The custom tag types included with the UK Edition are no different than any other custom tag types. They are just normal custom tag types.

The custom tag types included with the UK Edition are no different than any other custom tag types. They are just normal custom tag types.

Forgive me Jim.

There are (to my mind) 3 types of tag

1. Those that come as standard in the USA edition

2. Additional census tags for each individual UK census which are sold as part of the UK edition.

3. Custom tags which I and other users create.

This problem arises in both group 2 and group 3 tags.

As Group 2 tags are common to all UK customers and no individual user error can enter into it, I feel that the problem is best solved by looking at the occurrence in the UK census tags provided by TMG.

Virginia,

I will revert to this way of linking.

But as this has been a long standing problem and I only tried the other quicker way last night, it made no material difference.

The fact that it made no difference led me to believe that there is some problem in the Tag list - that it is not the activity of linking which is the cause. But something in the list of tags -

But I am now going to examine my tool bar files, as you suggested.

Evelyn

Forgive me Jim.

There are (to my mind) 3 types of tag

1. Those that come as standard in the USA edition

2. Additional census tags for each individual UK census which are sold as part of the UK edition.

3. Custom tags which I and other users create.

This problem arises in both group 2 and group 3 tags.

As Group 2 tags are common to all UK customers and no individual user error can enter into it, I feel that the problem is best solved by looking at the occurrence in the UK census tags provided by TMG.

The group 2 'UK' custom tag types were created by users... Caroline Gurney created all but the 'Census 1911' tag type which I created. These tag types are no different from any other custom tag types.

You really need to put the 'US/UK' business aside and just focus on issues of how the program works.

No, sorry, I dont know how the program works. I am a historian.

Since I am so often held to be in error, I want to eliminate variables (errors) arising from my own use of TMG.

I have just spend another hour examining some projects - 3 of them.

1st observation. The toolbar file opened in Notepad exec. is incorrect.

It reads

[item8]

Parameter=Census 19011

Text=1911

I left it as it was. None the less the Census 1911 button functions correctly in my "master" project Haigh and for the other two I have been opening and closing and ensuring the buttons work.

However when I open a fourth project and try the 1911 census button, the Error Message appears and reports correctly that

Tag "Census 19011" not found for current data set.

Now it is highly likely that I created the 1911 census tag by copying the Tag for 1901 - almost always when I create a new tag, I copy an existing tag and edit the name and sentence.

It seems to me that the original name copied (plus the addition of a figure 1) sticks to the newly created tag - this seems logical since it is not entirely new but is a copy.

It is very likely that Caroline created the UK tags by copying the USA Census Tag. But it is not my buisiness as customer to differentiate between Tags I buy from Wholly Genes. They look the same to the customer.

By all means let us get to the root of the problem.

The tool bar is shared between projects.

One step I took this afternoon was to start checking that my custom tags were uniform across my various projects.

One of my frequent errors in the past was to create a new Tag from scratch. The default in the UK edition is to create an Address tag (first in the alphabet.) I had to delete all these.

To avoid this error of mine, I started to create my new tags by copying old ones. For instance I copy a Note tag to create Research Notes - but what if in one Project I copied Event-misc?

Must the tool bar buttons relate to a Tag that is identical in every respect in every project? Or is only the label important?

I opened my most recent Project "Ward" (created new in TMG 7) and again it had "lost" its button links.

I remade them and this time saved the toolbar under a new name specific to that project.

I saved the lay out under a new name too, to make sure it didnt get opened by any other project.

Having done this, I opened the tool bar file and the relevent portion read.

[item7]

Parameter=Census 1901

Text=1901

[item8]

Parameter=Census 19011

Text=1911

[item9]

Parameter=Occupation

Text=Occ

[item10]

Parameter=Event-Misc1

Text=ResN

[item11]

Parameter=Census 19012

Text=N Para

I look forward to comments and instructions but no reprimands this time please.

Evelyn

[item8]

Parameter=Census 19011

Text=1911

The above says that the custom toolbar is set up to use a tag type named 'Census 19011' and that one (or more) of your projects could have the tag type named 'Census 19011'.

Please review the Census 1911 tag type in each project and make sure that none are named 'Census 19011'. If they are misnamed, edit and correct them. Also make sure that your projects don't have two tag types... one named 'Census 1911' and one named 'Census 19011'. And correct the toolbar definition to use 'Census 1911'.

Jim, I will do as you ask, but the question relates to all custom tags - i.e. as Ray observed when reporting his problem

I have continued my investigations. All using the census tbr file with the error for 1911.

Haigh reset Thurs and then Friday. works on the censu tbr as is (incuding the error for 1911)

Gollin ditto

Dyer Res n and N para not working 1911 does

Sadler ditto

Ward ditto

Rosenheim currently none of the buttons work work. None of the census tags 1841, 1851 etc. It is reported that the census tags dont exist - though they do. This may be the Project which somehow arrived in TMG UK bereft of census tags and I may have added them.

It is unlikely that I can deal with this further till Monday, so I beg your patience.

But I still think that the error arises from copying a tag and then editing it to rename it?

Evelyn

Edited by E Wilcock

Ray -

Do you have Cue Cards turned on? If so, turn them off in Preferences / General / Show Cue Cards and try saving the button again.

Virginia

Virginia

Brilliant! With cue cards switched off it saves and works correctly. Also after saving and switching cue cards on again it still works.

Thank you, I'm up and running again. All very strange, but no doubt makes sense to those who know about these things!

Thank you

Ray

Just a couple of further observations.

I am coming to believe that this problem affects only custom tags created by the customer.

I was working intensely on a Project where I possibly created all UK census tags myself. By reconnecting my tool bar links repeatedly in that project, I may have had a knock on affect, invalidating the links to all the UK census tags in other Projects which had the same name.

I do not think it is possible to create a new TMG tag without TMG selecting an existing tag as the model. It seems therefore impossible to avoid the problem of a ghost name attaching itself to the custom tag? And entering the .tbr file each time a link is established.

Edited by E Wilcock

Evelyn,

When you check the tag types and edit the tag types on the Tag Type Definition screen, please check the General tab for both English (US) and for English (UK) and make sure that both have been edited correctly.

Jim

Jim,

You have solved it.

When one creates a Tag in the UK verson one is offered the UK screen as default for editing the tag. One doesnt ever see the USA screen. TMG almost hung fire when I asked it to reveal it.

And you are right, that is where the ghost Tag name lurks.

I have edited the USA screen in the three custom tags on my "master" Project, reset the tool bar buttons and the toolbar file now reads correct.

So any UK customer creating a tag must create this debris. That's why Ray had it too.

I dont have time tonight to go through all my projects setting them to rights, but the logic of it suggests you have got to the root of the problem and I am deeply grateful.

Evelyn

edited to add,

I have now been through most projects. I confirm it seems to have fixed the problem. I didnt have a single custom tag in any Project correctly entered in the US language -

TMG UK tells you it defaults the new Tag to the Project default anyway, so it never impacted on my work until it came to the tool bar. I cant tell you how happy I am to be rid of this trouble.

Edited by E Wilcock

Evelyn,

Are you sure that you are using a tag type that is in the PROJECT you are currently using? I don't have but one project, so I am not sure how that works, but it looks like you are creating the tags in one project, adding the button to the toolbar (which means it works for that project, and then trying to change projects, where for some reason that tag type does not exist.

I have had problems with buttons stopping working IF after I created the button, I then renamed the tag type. But once the tag type is renamed, all I have to do is edit the button and point it to the new tag name and it works fine again.

I understand your frustration, because you know it doesn't work, but you can't figure out how to describe the issue so that Jim can understand so that it can get fixed.