percy porter

Extracting files to create a new tree

I run FTM 7.03 (in the processing of downloading 7.04) and I wish to extract part of my tree to create a stand alone one for that branch of the family. I am sure it can be done but as yet I have not been able to find out how

:unsure:

Your advice is eagerly anticipated.

Regards

Alan NZ

Alan,

I think you mean you are using TMG, not FTM? :)

You "extract" a part of your Data Set to either a separate Data Set or a separate Project with the Secondary Output of the List of People Report. Click Options on that report, and then the Secondary Output tab.

The trick then is to 1) define exactly what you mean by "part of my tree," and then 2) collect those people in the List of People report.

The first part means that you have to be precise. Do you mean someone's ancestors, or someone's descendants? How about their spouses? Parents of Spouses? Siblings? Etc.

Once you are clear on exactly who you mean, you can use a Filter, the Focus Group, or select people in the Project Explorer to control who is include in the List of People. Which is easiest depends on exactly how you define the target group. My article Using People Filters can help with that part. We can also help you here if you tell us who you want to include.

Having said all that, I would ask why you are trying to separate the line out? Most experienced users agree that keeping your working data for all lines in a single Data Set is generally a good idea for a number of reasons. If you are separating them for a specific task, there may be a better way to do that task without creating a separate Data Set or Project.

Hi Terry,

thanks for your response.

My reason for extracting is to create a seperate tree to pass on to a fellow researcher who has a lose connection to my wifes part of the family. He forwarded a hand written tree containing some useful information on the ancestors of that line but as I only "collect" direct family members and do not branch of down to the twigs of my tree most of those he has sent are of no interest to me, only a few have a direct connection to my wife. However having said that the family were a very interesting one and I found it quite satisfying when researching and it filled in quite a bit of background of the time, they lived in the North East of England in the Durham/Newcastle upon Tyne area were my wifes family still live.

He has merely collected the names but to the best of my knowledge have not added the detail, the names have all come from family sources. I have been able to sustantiate these names by way of online records such as BMD and censuses and wish to transmit this back to him.

Having said all that, it may well appear that the option you mention in your final paragraph could well be the way to go could I impose on you to elaborate on that?

I should point out that I am far from an "experienced user".

Again thanks for your help

Regards

Alan NZ

Alan,

I think you mean you are using TMG, not FTM? :)

You "extract" a part of your Data Set to either a separate Data Set or a separate Project with the Secondary Output of the List of People Report. Click Options on that report, and then the Secondary Output tab.

The trick then is to 1) define exactly what you mean by "part of my tree," and then 2) collect those people in the List of People report.

The first part means that you have to be precise. Do you mean someone's ancestors, or someone's descendants? How about their spouses? Parents of Spouses? Siblings? Etc.

Once you are clear on exactly who you mean, you can use a Filter, the Focus Group, or select people in the Project Explorer to control who is include in the List of People. Which is easiest depends on exactly how you define the target group. My article Using People Filters can help with that part. We can also help you here if you tell us who you want to include.

Having said all that, I would ask why you are trying to separate the line out? Most experienced users agree that keeping your working data for all lines in a single Data Set is generally a good idea for a number of reasons. If you are separating them for a specific task, there may be a better way to do that task without creating a separate Data Set or Project.

Edited by percy porter

Percy,

If your correspondent gave you the data handwritten, I assume he doesn't use TMG, or another program either for that matter. So I'd think that to pass the data to him you would want to use a printed report. Am I off base here?

Now about your TMG Project. If you find the people interesting, I'd just leave them where they are. Other than their names appearing in the Picklist, I don't see that as a problem. If you really want them out, we can help you get them to a separate project. Just describe how they connect to the data you want to keep.

Percy,

If your correspondent gave you the data handwritten, I assume he doesn't use TMG, or another program either for that matter. So I'd think that to pass the data to him you would want to use a printed report. Am I off base here?

Now about your TMG Project. If you find the people interesting, I'd just leave them where they are. Other than their names appearing in the Picklist, I don't see that as a problem. If you really want them out, we can help you get them to a separate project. Just describe how they connect to the data you want to keep.

I think I may have not explained myself, as mentioned I am not very profficient with the program and I am aware that it will do far more than I am ever likely to need it for. It is the first program of this nature that I have used, the original bought in 2000 has been progresivly updated to the current Version 7.04 so I am reluctant to move to another possibly simpler program for that reason

I don't neccasarily want to 'remove' the names from my tree just make up another tree with that particular portion of the family in it.

There are 4 families from around 1800 that I want to create a seperate list of and take it through to aroound 1970 the names from then down are all known so I don't want to include them. Also I normally do not include living family members but add them as and when they become deceased.

I am not sure wether he has a Family Tree program or not I was intending to send him a gedcom as well as a printed report as he is online and I get the ocaasional e-mail from him.

I am ware that I can print out both ancestor and descendent reports, I have as yet to find out how to save these to a seperate file and send that on electronically. My main trouble is understanding the language, unless you ask the right question on the help file you come up with a blank it's knowing how to phrase the question!

I'm sorry if I am confusing you but I can assure you I am most likely just as confused as you :unsure:

:mellow:

Alan NZ

Percy,

OK, if I get it, you are happy to leave the data in your working project, but are trying to figure out how to send it to your correspondent. In that case, I see no need for creating a second copy of it. That just makes maintenance harder, and isn't needed.

And, you want to both create a paper report (or probably a file of a paper report) and a GEDCOM. Those are two separate tasks.

For the file - Do you know how to generate the actual report you want? Have you decided what type of report - Ancestor, Descendant, Family Group Sheet? If you can create the reports the task then becomes saving them in a format you can attach to an email message. For that:

1. Go to Preferences, and on the Current Project Options > Advanced screen, look at the line for "Report output." See what folder that says your reports will go in. By default, it will be in a sub-folder named "The Master Genealogist v7" under your "Documents" folder. That's probably good, but you can change it to another place if that would be easier for you to find once the reports are made. In any case, the folder specified there is where your finished reports will end up.

2. Open the the Report that you want to use, and in the lower half of the screen:

- Select "Save to."

- Select the type of file you want to create in the "File type" drop-down list. Acrobat (PDF) is probably the safest, as most everyone can open that type.

- Enter a file name in the "File name" field. Use any name that makes sense to you.

- Create the report as usual. Instead of going to the screen, the report will be created as a file. When it's done, you will be asked if you want to open it. Click Yes to preview the file and be sure it's what you want. If it is, you are ready to attach it to an email message and sent it on it's way.

For the GEDCOM - first, I wouldn't do that until I verified he would be able to use it. From your description, it sounds like that may well be a waste of your time.

If you do want to create a GEDCOM, the first step is to select who will be included. I'd suggest doing that by creating a Focus Group that contains the desired people, and using the Focus Group to control the Export process. Collecting the right people in the focus group isn't hard, but it's difficult to describe without knowing how the people you want to send are related to each other. You can simply add each person one at a time, which may work well if there are few of them. But if the group is larger, the "Add Others" function on the focus group is easier. If you do want to create the GEDCOM, tell us how the people are related to each other and we can help ("four families" doesn't help - I don't know what you mean by a "family" - is that mother, father and children, or a whole family line?).