iamken

Census Records

Lets say John Doe appeared on the 1900 census at Endicott Washington,

then he appeared on the 1910 census at Precinct 15 Washington,

then he appeared on the 1920 census for 1930 at Endicott Washington.

I have reason to believe he never moved,

My question is there any way I can find out if Precinct 15 is actually Endicott.

Thank You

Kenny Stugart

I looked at a few pages of the 1910 Census for Endicott, WA, and the heading on the top of several Census pages says: "Precinct 15 (Endicott Precinct)". So that sort of answers your question. But since this is farmland there are no street addresses as there would be for a city...so you may never know for sure if he ever moved to another location in Endicott. Have you checked to see if his neighbors were the same in each Census year?

John

NO!

Sorry. Yes, Endicott, WA was probably in the 15th precinct in one census year, but that does NOT mean that it was in the 15th precinct every census year. Those types of jurisdiction lines move more than county lines do. Don't believe me, go to a school board meeting towards the end of any school year.

What I would do is record it as it is recorded on the census and not try and have one place for all three years.

Thanks everyone

It has made me do more research, they never moved as the neighbors are same.

Terry, I went to the web site you suggested and that does in fact confirm that it is in at least the same ED.

Now my question is: What do I put in the "City" for births, marriages ETC? Do I leave it blank, or put the "Township name in there", or what?

I would like to show him as a witness but only once for three years as it will be the same, I use Terry's method of Census recording and love it

I just use the first census sentence and add what years "1910, 192 and 1930" then on the other years I use a "Non Breaking Space"

The "Citation" has everything that is on the Census, so I'm covered there.

You guys are great, thanks again

Kenny

That's a good test. I should have thought of that, since I've actually used it before. :(

Now my question is: What do I put in the "City" for births, marriages ETC? Do I leave it blank, or put the "Township name in there", or what?

Yes. :)

You can do whatever you like. What do you want your reports to say? I've generally ignored such cases, leaving it to the reader to figure out. But you could either leave it blank, or record what's on the census, and add a note about your discovery that it's the same place. I'd put that in the memo, which might require some modification to the local sentence to place it in the right place in the output.

That's a good test. I should have thought of that, since I've actually used it before. :(

Yes. :)

You can do whatever you like. What do you want your reports to say? I've generally ignored such cases, leaving it to the reader to figure out. But you could either leave it blank, or record what's on the census, and add a note about your discovery that it's the same place. I'd put that in the memo, which might require some modification to the local sentence to place it in the right place in the output.

Thanks Terry

I have decided to put the Township for the city, that at least puts it within a 6 square mile area with a note as you suggest.

Kenny