cthistory

Image size to work in VCF

I am using TMG 7.03. All as worked well until outputting charts to VCF. If TMG does all the output it works fine. If I need to add lines that don't print from standard report options I have read that we can cut and paste from multiple reports. This works fine until I include exhibits. Then I consistently get out of memory errors. I am runnig windows XP with 4gb of memory. I brought the images into TMG as internal images and the size of those images, in the exhibit folder, is 1200 X 1800 at 300 dpi. What size should I use to ensure I can get adequate image output for all reports and charts?

I am using TMG 7.03. All as worked well until outputting charts to VCF. If TMG does all the output it works fine. If I need to add lines that don't print from standard report options I have read that we can cut and paste from multiple reports. This works fine until I include exhibits. Then I consistently get out of memory errors. I am runnig windows XP with 4gb of memory. I brought the images into TMG as internal images and the size of those images, in the exhibit folder, is 1200 X 1800 at 300 dpi. What size should I use to ensure I can get adequate image output for all reports and charts?

My typical image is about 124 x 180 pixles or so, at around 100 dpi. Some are bigger a few smaller. I usually crop just the face from a photograph or portrait as a TMG/VCF external image and save the original picture elsewhere, like a DVD or flash drive. I never use TMG internal images for ease of backup reasons. My computer memory size is 2.5 gigs and I've never had a memory problem with VCF, even on very large charts. I do a lot of copying and pasting from other charts.

VCF displays all images at 96 dpi, so any finer resolution is wasted.

Wow! 1200 x 1800 x 300 dpi is huge!!! Remember there is another size multiplyer of 16 to 24 color bits. I don't know the optimum, but you should reduce your images by around an order of magnitude in each direction.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

There are several points where I differ slightly in view from Mike Talbot.

Although the screen display is at 96dpi (pixels per inch), it is my belief that when the images are sent to the printer driver they are handled differently, implying that a little more resolution does enhance the quality. I generally recommend that person images be a maximum of 300 * 450 pixels (for a printed image of about 1 * 1.5 inches). But there is a complication. Each printer driver will resample the image to make the pixels line up with its printing resolution, HP and some other use modulo 150 dpi (150, 300, 600, etc), while Epson use modulo 180 (180, 360, 720, etc). So for the best output choose a print image size, image internal dpi, and total pixels to reduce the losses.

I have seen instances where if there are too many images of too high a resolution, then some printer drivers cannot cope meaning that printed charts have some images missing.

A second point about editing charts that have images within them. The saving of prior edits (so that you can UNDO some operations) consumes a lot of memory. When you save a VC2 file, close that chart, then reopen it from the saved VC2 file, this causes the UNDO stack to be reset. Periodic saving, then opening means that there is less chance of running out of memory.

I hope that this helps,

Robin

My typical image is about 124 x 180 pixles or so, at around 100 dpi. Some are bigger a few smaller. I usually crop just the face from a photograph or portrait as a TMG/VCF external image and save the original picture elsewhere, like a DVD or flash drive. I never use TMG internal images for ease of backup reasons. My computer memory size is 2.5 gigs and I've never had a memory problem with VCF, even on very large charts. I do a lot of copying and pasting from other charts.

VCF displays all images at 96 dpi, so any finer resolution is wasted.

Wow! 1200 x 1800 x 300 dpi is huge!!! Remember there is another size multiplyer of 16 to 24 color bits. I don't know the optimum, but you should reduce your images by around an order of magnitude in each direction.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Thank you both for your answers. I will reduce the size considerably from the previous size I had. I will make them external for ease of backup. I don't think the saved edits was the problem since I went directly from the TMG generation to the copy but I will keep this in mind when editing these charts in the future. Since I have many images It will take me a couple of days to go through them all.

Thank you both for your answers. I will reduce the size considerably from the previous size I had. I will make them external for ease of backup. I don't think the saved edits was the problem since I went directly from the TMG generation to the copy but I will keep this in mind when editing these charts in the future. Since I have many images It will take me a couple of days to go through them all.

Just do a few images at first, and generate test VCF charts until you make sure that you're pleased with the results.

Once satisfied with your choice of TMG chart configuration, image size and resolution, you can then do the rest.

Mike