Is there a wiki somewhere outlining changes forthcoming in Version 8?

Any chance the old "FoxPro look" can be done away with and more modern-looking GUI used for the app's interface?

No information has been released about Version 8.

Can you point out some examples of a 'more modern-looking GUI' interface? I expect changes are inevitable, but I would not want to give up what I consider an elegant business-like interface (screenshot of my layout below). I've seen some new genealogy programs whose interface looks like a Dick and Jane primer, with icons everywhere, a lot of wasted white space, and nowhere near the amount of information I see on my TMG screen.

layout.jpg

Virginia

Can you point out some examples of a 'more modern-looking GUI' interface? I expect changes are inevitable, but I would not want to give up what I consider an elegant business-like interface (screenshot of my layout below). I've seen some new genealogy programs whose interface looks like a Dick and Jane primer, with icons everywhere, a lot of wasted white space, and nowhere near the amount of information I see on my TMG screen.

post-23-1240945046_thumb.jpg

Virginia

While it's obviously not a genealogy database, I like the look of Google Chrome:

http://www.google.com/chrome

Interlocking windows that snap, better use of tabs and color out of the box, and use of the true Windows GUI rather than some weird DOS-like overlay are but three suggestions.

I honestly like the look of FTM 2009 better than TMG 7, but appreciate TMG's database capabilites more. I just wish TMG's interface were more cutting-edge.

I don't want to sound like I am opposed to any changes in how TMG looks, because I am always for improvements, but I think you need to be specific when you make requests.

Interlocking windows that snap: Assuming you want them to automatically line up next to each other and not snap their fingers. This would be helpful especially with the custom toolbar

better use of tabs : Personally I hate tabs on the windows and turned them off ages ago.

color out of the box, : Do you know that there are already saved color schemes you can use in TMG? Or that you can create and save your own? See Preferences>Colors>schemes

Virginia is using a steel color scheme. Mine is currently blue. It could change at any moment. :)

use of the true Windows GUI rather than some weird DOS-like overlay: How would this look different than what we have now?

And if I were making requests, I would say, no large cutesy icons, allow me to put MORE information on the screen, like the research log, not LESS.

I like the clean look of Google Chrome, and the colors and design suit its purpose as a browser. Admiring the canvas is one thing; the suitability of the design for efficiency of eye and hand movement when navigating is quite another.

TMG is infinitely customizable - even chromatizable :D :

TMGchrome.png

Virginia

Hi,

For me, the look is not the problem. The problem is FoxPro which does not allow Unicode which is necessary for a lot of national characters (Czech, Scandinavian, Icelandic, ...).

[This reply is off-topic and the Unicode issue has been discussed exhaustively in other appropriate topics. Please don't post off-topic responses. jeb]

Apart from Bob mentioning that whollygenes are working on version v8 and that it will include the following fixes,

[TMG] TMG v7.04 is now available! "The Master Genealogist v7.04.0000 is now available. We're working on TMG v8, including a fix to the word processor and HTML output problem under the 64-bit version of Windows Vista (the problem does not apply to the more common 32-bit version of Vista)"

post-23-1240945046_thumb.jpg

Virginia

While it's obviously not a genealogy database, I like the look of Google Chrome:

http://www.google.com/chrome

Interlocking windows that snap, better use of tabs and color out of the box, and use of the true Windows GUI rather than some weird DOS-like overlay are but three suggestions.

I honestly like the look of FTM 2009 better than TMG 7, but appreciate TMG's database capabilites more. I just wish TMG's interface were more cutting-edge.

Heaven forbid that TMG should begin to resemble FTM!!!!! The wonderful clean, functional interface is the very reason I happily left FTM far behind 10 years ago to begin my TMG adventure. Not to mention the ability to have significantly more information available in a single layout as well as being able to totally customize one's personal layout preferences for various tasks.

I'm sure we can all come up with various ideas for what we might consider to be improvements in TMG, however the main interface concept definitely isn't it!

B)

Joan

I guess I am okay with a person wanting to change the layout. I used to go to a certain website every day. Loved it. Commented on it. Then they changed the layout. Now I rarely visit. Yes the reason is the layout. Just show me what is is you had in mind. I might like it better. I am not big on cutesy icons, but if I can change those, then you can have them. I do use Icons on my custom toolbar. So I am not opposed to icons, just the ones that look cartoonish.

Stumbling along with FTM on my new computer using 64-bit Windows Vista. Can't use FTM's online functions with it and and TMG 7 won't work for 64-bit yet either. Wondering when TMG 8 might be coming. I've been delaying, and delaying...making a decison for TMG until it can work completely with 64-bit Vista. I realize that creative genius takes time and that you have to run the company at the same time. We don't seem to have any ideas or teasers about a possible date. Personally, this is the optimum opportunity for me to change programs. I am pretty sure that I want it to be to TMG. I've been researching TMG a long time but I need to have my files up to date on the new computer soon.

MomSmith,

I recommend that you don't wait. Everything about data entry and using TMG 7 works just fine with 64-bit. As I understand it the only things missing are some of the report features and an export issue. I am just a user and cannot speak for WhollyGenes but in previous posts they have indicated they are actively working hard on this last area for 64-bit. However, they have a policy of never specifying when (or even officially promising if) a new feature will be released. You could be getting your files up to date now using TMG with all its aspects of data entry. As for output, many people prefer creating web pages (especially using the companion program Second Site) instead of producing printed reports and don't find this temporary lack a big issue.

Stumbling along with FTM on my new computer using 64-bit Windows Vista. Can't use FTM's online functions with it and and TMG 7 won't work for 64-bit yet either. Wondering when TMG 8 might be coming. I've been delaying, and delaying...making a decison for TMG until it can work completely with 64-bit Vista. I realize that creative genius takes time and that you have to run the company at the same time. We don't seem to have any ideas or teasers about a possible date. Personally, this is the optimum opportunity for me to change programs. I am pretty sure that I want it to be to TMG. I've been researching TMG a long time but I need to have my files up to date on the new computer soon.

I need the output. Thanks. I know that TMG doesn't give dates, but they indicated a long time ago that they were working on the problem. Their recommendation before I bought my new laptop was go ahead and get the 64-bit. Other programs do not have this particular problem. Myunderstanding is that TMG will not be fixing the issue until TMG 8.

I need the output. Thanks. I know that TMG doesn't give dates, but they indicated a long time ago that they were working on the problem. Their recommendation before I bought my new laptop was go ahead and get the 64-bit. Other programs do not have this particular problem. Myunderstanding is that TMG will not be fixing the issue until TMG 8.

While I can't speak for TMG & Co. I will note the following...

TMG v4.00 released May 1999

TMG v5.00 released May 2002

TMG v6.00 released Dec 2004

TMG v7.00 released Dec 2007

If history is any judge I'd expect TMG v8.00 to be released by Dec 2010 at the latest but I don't expect it to be released before Windows 7 is released (for certification and campatibility reasons mainly).

If history is any judge I'd expect TMG v8.00 to be released by Dec 2010 at the latest but I don't expect it to be released before Windows 7 is released (for certification and campatibility reasons mainly).

Okay, that's

3 years

2 years 7 months

3 years

So "technically the next release" (I teach patterns to 4 year olds <_< ) would be (2 years 7 months)

Jul 2010

But my conjecture is no different than your conjecture. It will be ready when it's ready. It's also possible that the pattern hasn't been fully established yet. :D

Edited by GenerationGoneBy

Andy, I'm just another user like you and can't speak for TMG either, but Bob has indicated publicly that updating the report writer for 64-bit systems is of the highest priority. Windows 7 is still a long way off and introducing it into the mix seems like a bit of a red herring to me. In the meantime, many many people are using TMG v7 with 64-bit systems, working around the limitation on word processor output.

Virginia

A couple of misleading statements have been made.

1) Bob has said that the report generator/word processing update will be included in the next public release after the update is completed.

2) For the most part, what works (or doesn't work) in WinVista is also the case with Win7. I found one additional issue under Win7 x64 a couple of months ago but that should be fixed by the report generator/word processing update. I was actually surprised to find a difference between WinVista and Win7 (which is nothing more than the next step in the evolution of WinVista). The TMG8 release timetable should have nothing to do with the Win7 release timetable. It's safe to say that TMG8 will be released when it is ready to be released.

It's safe to say that TMG8 will be released when it is ready to be released.

Jim,

I don't think that statement will be quite accurate.

While Wholly Genes tries very hard to get each release perfect, TMG is a very large and flexible program. The beta testers test a wide range of feature combinations but TMG users are very creative in how they try to use the program, and there always seems to be a few obscure (and sometimes not so obscure) things that don't quite work properly.

If they didn't insist on giving us so many useful ways to record and report our data, maybe they wouldn't have a few bugs in every release. But then many of us would not be interested in using the product.

Pierce

How a user uses a feature doesn't cause a bug. If you use a feature in a way that it isn't designed, you have to understand that a design change could cause your idea to not work, however, it also tends to affect the users who are using it properly in the same manner. A bug is when a feature isn't working the way it is supposed to work according to the design and the manual. A bug affects the user who is using the program as designed, just as it does the user who gets a little creative.

Now having said that, it is hard for the beta testers to test every single feature to the extent to find every single bug. I may use a feature to a greater extent than any other user and would be more likely to find a bug in that one feature, but not find the simplest of bugs in another feature simply because I don't use those features. That wouldn't make me a good beta tester, because you need to test all the features. The reason for having beta testers is they test it in real world use and they do a remarkable job of finding bugs before we see a release. The rest of us users are incredibly indebted to them, because we get a quality product that does an amazing job with lots and lots of features that can be used for purposes we create on our own.

By saying it will be released when it is ready, I read that to mean that Whollygenes and the beta team have tested it to the best of their abilities and found it ready to go. It's not going to corrupt my data. It's not going to create new data. That doesn't mean it isn't going to have any bugs. It just means that the people who have been using it for how ever long they have been testing it haven't found any bugs and have found it stable. And it means that we can infer nothing from previous release schedules.

Personally, I'd be happy to find enough time lately to just open TMG 7. :D

It's safe to say that TMG8 will be released when it is ready to be released.

Jim,

I don't think that statement will be quite accurate.

While Wholly Genes tries very hard to get each release perfect, TMG is a very large and flexible program. The beta testers test a wide range of feature combinations but TMG users are very creative in how they try to use the program, and there always seems to be a few obscure (and sometimes not so obscure) things that don't quite work properly.

If they didn't insist on giving us so many useful ways to record and report our data, maybe they wouldn't have a few bugs in every release. But then many of us would not be interested in using the product.

Pierce

I have to use any release of any software that has not had a bug ib it. To hope to release any software without a single bug is impossible. TMG has relative few major bugs compared to programs I use in my business.

Peter

May I also suggest that the English (UK), English (US), and English2 be merged as English (Int'l) in a new Platinum version. This would eliminate the hassle of the non-US variations of English being treated as foreign languages, which is certainly not the case. English spelling can definitely accommodate a number of variants such as center/ centre, and OK/ okay all as acceptable in International English.

Edited by Mr.Kim.Sanders

May I also suggest that the English (UK), English (US), and English2 be merged as English (Int'l) in a new Platinum version.

I strongly oppose merging English (US) and English (UK). There are various locale differences that affect program use, data entry, and reporting, and designating one language or the other is the best approach for most--if not all--users. Spelling differences such as centre vs. center are not even an issue as most such words are entered by the user and TMG doesn't play an active role in determining which spelling is used.

I would like to see TMG simplify multi-language support but merging English (US) and English (UK) doesn't solve any issues. On the contrary, it introduces some. A better simplification would be to remove the language choice from the TMG install process and allow users to switch on the fly from any supported language to any other supported language. That's mostly true now but projects are initialized with a set of properties based on language and I think TMG should allow those properties to be modified on the fly.

I agree with John. I actually use English2, because I like being able to edit the English words that are a part of the program. Merging English2 and EnglishUK will not solve my issues, but will create MANY more for most users.

The issue is like John says where a user needs to use two languages at the same time, manly in sourcing. Say you are both English and German speaking. You want to enter sources in both languages. In Memos we can use 1-4 for English, 5-8 for German, but there's no provision for sources to handle multi languages.

I have the UK version because my ancestry is mostly English. The issue I have with English (US) is that if I make changes to the English (UK), I must also remember to change English (US). I would rather have the locale be based on my Operating System settings.

You would have the Sentences and Tag Type elements change based on Operating System settings? Then users would have to change the language in their OS to produce reports in another language? That doesn't seem like a very convenient approach to me.

I agree with Terry. I don't know any German, nor is does my OS, but with TMGs language output, I can currently send a report to a German speaking cousin and with the exception of my memos and sources, they'd be able to read my report.

The ONLY thing I can think of that you have to remember to change when you edit a language in TMG in another language besides ENGLISH that you also have to remember to edit is the ENGLISH version is tag type labels and I think that's only becomes a problem if you use Second Site which reads the ENGLISH labels. Otherwise edit the language all you want, there is no reason to also edit EMGLISH, which I don't have TMG open at the moment, but I don't think you CAN edit the LANGUAGE files to ENGLISH, which is the reason we have ENGISH 2, right?