Ed Brown

How to delete missing exhibits?

Through the years, and from importing back and forth between FTM and TMG I have about 2800 exhibits listed in the database which do not exist in the TMG/exhibits path. I actually started with around 3000 of them, but after sitting here and deleting them one by one, by hand, I am hoping for another option.

I actually noticed it, because Second Site, showed 40 little cameras for one fact, and I traced it back to numerous exhibits pointing to the same event. Unfortunately the files the exhibits point to no longer exist.

I did look at John's TMG Utility, but I don't think it will do what I need. If I am wrong please let me know.

I also bought PathWiz, hoping that it would allow me to fix it. It allows me to identify the missing items, but there isn't a way that I have found to get rid of them

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Ed,

I'd be careful here. If Second Site included icons, that means it found the exhibits. It may be that all the exhibit point to a single file, and that file may not be in the location specified by the exhibit but instead in the folder identified as the main Exhibits folder for the project.

John,

The problem was that of the 3000 exhibits that where showing up in TMG and Second Site only about 30 of them where unique. I had many identical images, but with different machine generaeted names. Since the exhibits were taking up over 1.5GB of space I went through them and removed the duplicate images.

Unfortunatly the pointers from the exhibit table( or db) still point to where it thinks the exhibit should be, but I have removed those files because they were duplicates. One good example was my great grandfather, who had 50 exhibits attached to him, but they were all the same image, with different names.

After is was all said an done, I had about 30 unigue images, which I have started naming to something meaningful, but the links to the original exhibits still show up in TMG, but only the newly renamed and properly added, show up in Second Site.

At this point I would be happy to just mass delete all the exhibits, and start from scratch, since there whould be much less work involved in adding back the 30 valid exhibts.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

Ed,

I'd be careful here. If Second Site included icons, that means it found the exhibits. It may be that all the exhibit point to a single file, and that file may not be in the location specified by the exhibit but instead in the folder identified as the main Exhibits folder for the project.

Send me the .PJC file from your project folder. (I just want it as a guideline.) I'll send you an empty exhibit table to replace the existing table.

You can contact me by clicking on the link below.

Jim Byram

I too am having problems deleting missing exhibits. I have just 8 missing and when I check out exhibits in the TMG Utility it has a person ID#0 for each of the missing exhibits. I don't have a person ID#0.

I have validated file integrity and reindexed and ran validate file integrity a couple more times. The only problems that show up are the 8 missing exhibits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

In TMG, open the exhibit log. Set the focus to a person and then set the ID number to zero. That should let you see the thumbnail images, and that might help you determine where the images are attached.

Thank you John. :)

They weren't attached to anyone. I did a right click and delete on each of the problems and now I have no missing exhibits. I'm not sure how it happened to begin with but I'm glad its fixed now.

Maybe I should do the maintenance items more often. I've had this file for years and the only time I use anything in the maintenance group is when there seems to be a problem.