treehstn

Adding web links to individuals

Is there any way to add a web link for individuals? I'd like to be able to have a list of links per person to places on the internet that pertain to them and have them work as actual links instead of text that has to be copied and pasted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is there any way to add a web link for individuals? I'd like to be able to have a list of links per person to places on the internet that pertain to them and have them work as actual links instead of text that has to be copied and pasted.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry, I can't answer your question. Copy and paste was my way.

But, may I share a lesson from "The School of Hard Knocks" with you? Web sites frequently come and go. Even when a web site does not die or go unmaintained, the URL might change. When none of those bad thngs occur, the web page that your data was on within that site, may change.

You can be sure of only one thing with web links/URLs of data. After a few months or years, a large percentage of web addresses or the data therein will change.

Consider, crediting the person that dispayed the data by name and date, by his given reference or both. You can probably come up with an alternative that suits your needs, better. But do rest assured, many, many web links are temporary and fleeting. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Mike,

Some marriages are fleeting, but we enter those in our data!

I agree that web sites can come and go. Some are much more permanent than others. For example, I have links to great sites that support some of my Nova Scotian ancestors and those links have been working for at least 8 years. Others, of course, are gone now.

I think it's a good idea to add the link and keep track of the data some other way, credit the person, etc. Adding a link is very convenient for the cases where the URL is still valid and it doesn't hurt anything if the URL is stale.

Back to the original topic...

I think TMG's [WEB:]url;text[:WEB] code is the best way to enter links. Terry's question is pertinent, however, because whether or not you use that code depends on what you are trying to do, what reporting options you use, etc.

Specifically I would like to have a tag that will be a link to the individual's memorial page on FindAGrave.com. The urls do not change once the memorial is created. It would be helpful to be able to know which people in my database have memorials and which I still need to create.

I'd create a custom event tag and use the [WEB:] / [:WEB] code in the memo. There are more involved ways to do it, but this is pretty simple and will work.

The custom event isn't strictly necessary, but it will make it a little easier to tell when you have added a link to the FindAGrave site for someone.