Neil Grantham

Mixing UK & US name styles

I presume if you use the US version of TMG, that the US naming convention is used? IE When Jane Doe marries John Smith, then reports show her as Jane Doe Smith?

I use the UK version, where we don't naturally use that convention over here, IE Jane Doe would just become (normally) Jane Smith.

However, I am sure this occurs a lot, I have American and Canadian 'cousins' where it would be desirable to show the US style in their entries.

Is this easily achieved?

Thanks

The US version does nothing different in this respect than the UK version.

There is a feature in Preferences > Program Options > Prompts, which I think is turned on by default, to add a Married Name tag for woman when you add or edit a Marriage tag. However, that feature automatically adds only the married surname, and is primarily designed to facilitate searching for the woman by her married name.

If you want to add the maiden surname as a middle name to this tag you would have to do that manually.

Adding the name tag does not cause that name variation to be used in reports for the events that follow. To do that you need to select that name variation in the event tags where you want it to be used.

Terry

Neil,

You'll also find that US women don't follow a stand naming structure either. Most use their first name, hubby's surname. Some use their first name, maiden name, hubby's surname, some hyphenate the two. Some keep their married name.

So it wouldn't be uncommon to see

Teresa Ghee Elliott

Teresa Ghee-Elliott

Teresa Ghee

Teresa Elliott

Hope that helps when setting up tags.

Neil,

You'll also find that US women don't follow a stand naming structure either. Most use their first name, hubby's surname. Some use their first name, maiden name, hubby's surname, some hyphenate the two. Some keep their married name.

So it wouldn't be uncommon to see

Teresa Ghee Elliott

Teresa Ghee-Elliott

Teresa Ghee

Teresa Elliott

Hope that helps when setting up tags.

My grandmother strongly objected to being called Mrs. Edna Earl Hicks- she was either Edna Earl Godfrey or Mrs. Tyson Clay Hicks thankyouverymuch. :)