jonsaunders

Rich Text Format copy/paste

When I copy/paste text in RTF into a memo field in TMG 7.04, the formatting is lost and I have to reformat the text. A real pain in the a**. What setting do I need to change to allow the RTF formatting to be retained?

Jon Saunders

Edited by jonsaunders

OK, but I was taught in typing class that you put two spaces at the end of a sentence. Why does TMG consistently reduce my carefully inserted double space to a single space? Why doesn't it just leave my text alone and paste it in?

OK, but I was taught in typing class that you put two spaces at the end of a sentence. Why does TMG consistently reduce my carefully inserted double space to a single space? Why doesn't it just leave my text alone and paste it in?

In my tests of cutting and pasting from Word or WordPerfect the double spaces are not change to one....however, double spacing at the end of a sentence is outdated. Most print uses proportional spacing and does not require two spaces at the end of sentence. The two spaces were standard when using a typewriter which as fixed spacing and I imagine would be acceptable if using a fixed font like Courier, but I'm no expert and could be wrong...

Hi Jon,

The whole purpose of the TMG report system is to construct multiple kinds of reports and sentences from the bits of text and many variables that you provide. As Paul has tested, double spaces in the internal text you provide seem to remain. I have been told that current standards for electronic output at the end of sentences defaults to a single space. (Yes, I am old enough to have taken a typing class too where I was told to enter two spaces, but a recent word processing class I reviewed specified to only enter one space at the end of a sentence, and then use options in the word processing package to define how lines, words and sentences are spaced. While I am not sure this is progress, this is reality. :( Sigh!) Like word processing options, many TMG reports have an option to tell TMG how many spaces to use between the sentences it constructs. For example, on the Individual Narrative report, see the Miscellaneous tab and you can specify the number of spaces that TMG will produce between sentences for that report.

Hope this helps understand what is happening.

Reporting isn't the issue, since I do not use any of TMG's reporting features. How it looks to me on my screen is what counts. The only output function I employ is a monthly extract which I upload to RootsWeb. That's my method of reporting.

I just wish that TMG would aceept my text without reformatting it. What is the purpose of the reformatting? If there is no purpose for it, maybe we could eliminate it.

Jon

Edited by jonsaunders

Jon,

What "reformatting" are you talking about? You mentioned indenting - TMG memos do not support indenting, so no "reformatting" is going on - indented first lines are simply not recognized. You mentioned extra spaces, but no one else is able to replicate extra spaces being removed. Exactly what formatting is in the text you are pasting that is lost?

By design, trailing spaces are deleted from memos when the tag is saved. You can add spaces at the end of memos by using the non-breaking space code... [:NB:]

Spaces between sentences are added during report generation. TMG users are encouraged to add spacing at the beginning of memos or sentences rather than at the end if spaces are needed.

A space is an ASCII character (hex 40 if I remember my programming days correctly) the same as any other. It should not be treated any differently than any other ASCII character during the copy/paste function into a memo field. If I have one space, two spaces, or twenty spaces between sentences, that is the way it should look after the paste process. The same is true if I have used spaces to accomplish paragraph indents. Don't mess with my text!

I see no issue with any spaces within the text being changed when I paste from an RTF into a TMG memo. I created double-spacing within the text and set up a table with indentation using spaces. It was all saved as pasted. The only spaces that were removed were trailing spaces at the end of the memo field.