joanmc

TMGv7 With Linux & Virtual Box

I am using Linux (PCLOS-Gnome) exclusively now except for my photo editing programs and TMG. I want to be able to use these 3 programs on Linux as well and am wondering if TMGv7 will work successfully using Virtual Box and Windows XP. If anyone has tried this, how did it work........any critical TMG facets rendered inoperable?

If no one else has tried this, I'm prepared to experiment.......just looking for possible previous experimenters <_<

8)

Joan

I am using Linux (PCLOS-Gnome) exclusively now except for my photo editing programs and TMG. I want to be able to use these 3 programs on Linux as well and am wondering if TMGv7 will work successfully using Virtual Box and Windows XP. If anyone has tried this, how did it work........any critical TMG facets rendered inoperable?

If no one else has tried this, I'm prepared to experiment.......just looking for possible previous experimenters <_<

8)

Joan

Hi Joan,

Yes I use Virtual Box running TMG7 in winxp under WinVista! (Not linux) and it works so I believe it would under Linux also (Previously I was using VMWARE which works just as well)

I like that fact that I can keep a whole virtual pc for my genealogy stuff and backup and move quickly to better/faster pc's as needed without re-installing from scratch each time.

Sam

Joan

I am working with TMG 7 (and earlier TMG 6) with host Ubuntu (8.04 - 9.04), Virtual Box (from 1.4, now 2.2) and WinXP SP3 as guest. No problems at all (reports and printing not tested).

Backup needs additional steps as backing up on the virtual disk does not seem safe enough to me. After backup I copy the backup file either on external hard disk or into host file system.

It seems TMG 7.04 now works with wine, didn't try this lately.

Regards, Mikey

Joan

I am working with TMG 7 (and earlier TMG 6) with host Ubuntu (8.04 - 9.04), Virtual Box (from 1.4, now 2.2) and WinXP SP3 as guest. No problems at all (reports and printing not tested).

Backup needs additional steps as backing up on the virtual disk does not seem safe enough to me. After backup I copy the backup file either on external hard disk or into host file system.

It seems TMG 7.04 now works with wine, didn't try this lately.

Regards, Mikey

Thanks so much Mikey and Sam. This is good news and I can now get busy and do the install of Windoze into VB then TMG into that. It will be a delight to finally eliminate the dual boot as inevitably I would be in Linux for my online research or mail list/email and need to check something in TMG so have to reboot into Win or boot up my laptop into Win<g>. Hopefully, I'll be up and running with this within a week.

B)

Joan