Since installing TMG on my new Vista computer, I am having problems finding things. I have my Custom reports in two different files but TMG7.04 cannot find them. Where do I change something so that TMG can find them? I've checked Preferences many times but to no avail. My Custom reports are in "Program Files (x86)/The Master Genealogist v7/reports" and "Users/Duane/Documents/The Master Genealogist v7/Projects". Just where should they be?

Thanks. Duane

Never, ever, put user data in the program folder.

There are two types of files you are concerned with. Report configurations and report output. Both paths are set in Preferences.

File / Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced tab

The default paths would be:

Users/Duane/Documents/The Master Genealogist v7/Configuration_files

Users/Duane/Documents/The Master Genealogist v7/Report_output

Read the 'Data file storage' topic in help.

Apparently when I restored from my XP to my Vista if it didn't know where to a file it didn't put it anywhere. I searched for .rpt files and only found the standard .rpt files. Mine were not anywhere on the Vista. I copied the .rpt files on my XP to CD and copied to the Configuration folder. Now I can't find the report filter files. Are they still .FLE files and where do they go? I copied a few to Configuration folder but my report didn't find them. Help is not that specific.

Filter files are specific to a project and are stored with that project. You can copy filter files from one project to another if your projects are in separate folders. For a list of the over fifty filters included in the Sample project, see pages 6 and 7 of my article on data file storage here.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia. Finally got everything where it belongs and things are working fine.