Vicus Scurra

Dates on married names

When importing a gedcom file, a Name-Marr record is created for women who are recorded as being married.

I would like to be able to add the date to this tag from the marriage date where it is present.

Is this something that I can automate?

I am not familiar with the import options, but adding a Name-Marr tag to people in a TMG dataset is very easy with John Cardinal's TMG Utility, and it will copy the marriage date to use as the date for this tag. See more about this donorware Utility here.

Thanks Michael, but the import already creates the tags, it just does not apply a date to them.

The utility would, I believe, merely replicate the tags, leaving me to manually delete the undated ones.

I am not familiar with the import options, but adding a Name-Marr tag to people in a TMG dataset is very easy with John Cardinal's TMG Utility, and it will copy the marriage date to use as the date for this tag. See more about this donorware Utility here.

Hi Vicus,

I don't know how much editing you have already done on this imported data. If it is very little, it may be easier to start over and re-import the file. If you choose the Advanced Wizard for import in Step 1, then in Step 5 you can uncheck "Assume married names". That import option will avoid creating any Name-Marr tags. Then you can use the TMG Utility to create these tags for you and can choose the option to include the marriage date if there is one.

Thanks Michael, but the import already creates the tags, it just does not apply a date to them.

The utility would, I believe, merely replicate the tags, leaving me to manually delete the undated ones.

If you want to use John's Utility to add married name tags with dates, you can first use it to remove all the existing ones to avoid the duplicates.

But, why do you want dates on them? I much prefer to have them stacked at the top (or bottom) of the tag box, out of the way of actual events.

If you want to use John's Utility to add married name tags with dates, you can first use it to remove all the existing ones to avoid the duplicates.

But, why do you want dates on them? I much prefer to have them stacked at the top (or bottom) of the tag box, out of the way of actual events.

Michael, Terry - thank you for those suggestions, I will try them, looks good.

Good question, Terry, I dunno! It looks neater to me, I guess. Maybe I won't bother any more.

You're welcome.

My thought is that they are not "real data" but simply database devices to help me find married women by their married names in the Picklist. Much the same as the "standard name" tags I create for families who used a variety of spellings of their surnames. As such I prefer they be out of the way of the event tags. Of course others may see them differently.

... I prefer they be out of the way of the event tags. ...

Terry, not to hijack the thread, but, how does that affect your Journal (and other reports)? I guess they are not Primary events, so they can be excluded; but there must be other non-primary events you want included? Or do you do event selection for each of your reports?

I'm just curious.

David,

Since I defined them as "not real data" :) I don't want them in reports, as you have suggested. I don't find the "use Primary" events a useful option, for the reasons you mention, so I never use it. Instead all my reports use the "Selected events" option, and I then "unselect" these tag types.

In addition to "non-data" tags like married name and standard name, I also have other tag types I never print - some old "stories" I wrote a while back and have replaced with individual tags, and some odds and ends of data that I collected in "Source Note" tags because I didn't want to lose them, but also don't think they are worth printing in reports.

I've got a mixture of married names with and without dates. Any clues as to an easy way of removing the dates from those that have them, ie the reverse of what's possible in TMG Utility? Thanks, Christopher

Christopher,

TMG Utility has a feature where you can delete tags by tag type, and you can use it to delete your existing Married Names. After you do that, run Add Married Names with the options set to specify the sort dates.