Vicus Scurra

Preferences - Display Surname in Caps

When I create a new project and import data (typically a gedcom) the Preferences defaults to Display Surname in Caps.

In my live projects I always turn off this option, and notice that help recommends this also.

Is there a way I can force the Caps off option on imports?

I'm afraid not if you import into a new Project. The option to display surname in caps is a Project-level option, and not one you can preset before the Project is created.

But if you import into an existing Project (which will place the import into a separate Data Set within that Project) the option you have previously set for that Project will apply.

I'm afraid not if you import into a new Project. The option to display surname in caps is a Project-level option, and not one you can preset before the Project is created.

But if you import into an existing Project (which will place the import into a separate Data Set within that Project) the option you have previously set for that Project will apply.

Thanks Terry, that is what I feared.

Terry's recommendation to import it into an existing project can still give you a ne project. Import the GEDCOM into the existing project which has the setting you want. Copy the project. In the old project, delete the new dataset created by the import. In the new copied project, delete the old datasets leaving just the new imported GEDCOM.

Thanks Terry, that is what I feared.

I don't understand the issue. It only takes a second to change the display setting after an import. And Janis' suggestion would take much longer than changing the one Preferences setting.

And I don't understand why you say Preferences makes a recommendation to not display the surname in caps. The Current Project Options: General help topic makes no recommendations and shouldn't do so. The Preferences defaults are to display the surname in caps and not to display the given name in caps.

It appears to me that you are confusing data entry and display. The recommendation is that the surname be recorded in mixed case. Displaying the surname in caps has absolutely no effect on that.

TMG imports names from a GEDCOM exactly as recorded in the GEDCOM. If the surnames are recorded in upper case in the GEDCOM, that's how they will be imported. The Person View surname display setting in Preferences has nothing to do with how the surnames are imported. If imported surnames are in upper case, you can use TMG Utility to change the surnames to mixed case.

Edited by Jim Byram