Roich

Reports, Lists of

Hi,

I'm trying to build a report for all people in a state:

(1.) alphabetical list by county

(2.) list of surname and given name

(3.) birth date, marriage, and death dates

This way, when I go to the county records, either in person or FHC microfiche, I know who to look for and when. Anyway, I just can't seem to get the right report and option together. Is this possible or am I just having a senior moment?

Thanks in advance,

Rich :wacko:

Well, yes and no.

What do you mean by a person being in a state? They were born there; died there; were married there, or had any other event there?

You can find all the people in a state once you define what you mean by that. And, you can output the date from the primary birth and death tags. You can also output the date from the primary marriage tag, but I don't know what happens if there was more than one marriage.

The problem is listing them by county. The county according to which tag? A person may well have several events in the state in different counties. You can sort on the county in the primary tag in the birth, marriage, or death group, but not all of them.

Tell us a bit more about how you want the report to work and we can help with the setup.

I'm trying to build a report for all people in a state
Hi Rich,

Like Terry, I don't understand what you are trying to do. The important point is that people do not have a single location (we tend to move around :rolleyes: ).

Only events (which in TMG are Tags) have a location. You could filter a List of Events report for all tags where State Equals a particular state. That report could also filter for events whose Date was between some specific range. On that List of Events you could output and sort these events by the county, and also output the Principals names and ID numbers to help you locate these people. You could even set a temporary custom Flag on the Secondary Output to flag all these people. That Flag could then be used to filter a separate List of People report that output their BMD information.

That is the best my imagination can think of at the moment. Hope this gives you ideas.

OK,

I see what you mean. Let's start again with the state = NJ

Then produce a list by county with the persons name and the b m d tag as appropriate. I just want a list of "events" with dates for a county, sorted by county.

John Doe b 1810 Sussex NJ

Jane Brown d 23 Sep 1801 Bergen NJ

Does this make any sense?

Thanks,

Rich

If it has to be done in 3 different reports, I don't have any problem with that.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I think your best bet would be a List of Events report, with a filter like:

State Equals NJ AND

( Tag Type Group is Birth OR

Tag Type Group is Death OR

Tag Type Group is Marriage ) END

Then, in the Output Columns tab of Options set up the output you want. I'd think you would want to include the name (there are several ways to do that, in one column or two), the Tag Type Label so you know which type of event you are seeing, the date, and the county.

You can set the report to sort on any of these, so you can do it by tag type, by county, by date, and/or by name if you want, making whicher of those you want to be the main sort.

Perfect!

I forgot that there were choices, not just END. Then, I didn't quite follow your directions. I missed the open paren and close paren. After that works like a charm.

Again, thank you very much! It will make it easier when going to the counties or libraries to know who to look for.

Rich :)