wdwilson3

Exhibit sources

A web site owner sent me a message earlier today, chiding me for using several of the photographs that he had on his web site on my own. He was completely correct in objecting, and it was impolite, at least, for me to neglect asking permission. The embarrassing truth is that I had forgotten where I got the images, and if I had remembered I would have had to spend quite a while locating the "owner" since the web pages are no longer up and I had no contact information on the owner in TMG.

So here's the question: how do users "source" exhibits in TMG? I know I could list each scanned or downloaded photo as a separate source, but at this point that seems like an option of last resort, considering the work it would entail. Do other users have a (quicker, simpler) way to keep track of the details of where you got your exhibits?

I always store images intially totally outside of TMG, for several reasons, including that most of the images I capture I don't make into exhibits, and when I do I usually edit them, at least re-sizing them and often more.

I identify the source either in the name of the folder in which I store them, or with a "readme" text file I store with the images.

I always store images intially totally outside of TMG, for several reasons, including that most of the images I capture I don't make into exhibits, and when I do I usually edit them, at least re-sizing them and often more.

I identify the source either in the name of the folder in which I store them, or with a "readme" text file I store with the images.

True, I always download to an image folder first, too. So if you were to download a file titled GandalfGrey.jpg, you'd also write a GandalfGrey.txt file in that folder with the source? Seems good, though I wonder if I'm disciplined enough to do that religiously.

If you do decide to use the image in TMG, do you incorporate the source anywhere?

Yes, managing to do it regularly is a chore. If I several images from the same source I create a single "readme.txt" file in the folder with the information. I've also used one txt file per image, and put the source in either the folder or file name. Not necessarily the best practice, I suppose.

I've not included the source information in TMG exhibits - only with images I add directely in Second Site. One way that occurs to me is to add the exhibit to a tag, and cite the source in the tag. That may not be the best way, which I suppose depends on how you want to output the images.

Another idea is to use a service like Webcite to produce an archived version of the webpage/image location.

I frequently get images from FindAGrave.com. Those images are taken by volunteers. When I attach the images to a person in TMG, I do so as an external file and add the information from the website citing both the contributor of the cemetery inscription and the person that took the picture in the Citation Detail of the Source.

Hope this helps.

Another idea is to use a service like Webcite to produce an archived version of the webpage/image location.

I frequently get images from FindAGrave.com. Those images are taken by volunteers. When I attach the images to a person in TMG, I do so as an external file and add the information from the website citing both the contributor of the cemetery inscription and the person that took the picture in the Citation Detail of the Source.

Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, do you have FindAGrave.com as a single source in your Master Source list, just changing the Citation Detail for each image? Or, do you have each image a separate source?

Thanks for the idea. I had not heard of WebCite and I was interested in trying it. Unfortunately, according to Wikipedia, the site has been down since 19 June with technical issues. Which I'm sure annoys its patrons far more than me. This does point out the inherent danger of having a third party involved in the reference citation. Hopefully, they will resolve their issues soon and I can see whether WebCite will work for me.

I just tried another way to "source" images, that seems to work pretty well if you want it to be publicly visible. I put the source information in the Caption field of the exhibit. If you are using exhibits attached to events, or other locations other than to people, I believe the caption is not read by TMG reports, so it is safe to use HTML to create a line break, change the font size, etc.

For an example, see this page - the first image.

Terry,

Looks good. Two comments:

1 - If your HTML is limited to links, you can use the [WEB:] / [:WEB] code and that will work reasonably well in all TMG reports and it will produce a link in Second Site and TMG's HTML output. (I bet you know that, but I figured I'd add it for lurkers.)

2 - I think you can use the [CIT:] / [:CIT] codes in captions, but you should probably test that... (Losing gray matter here.)

Thanks, John.

I also wanted the credit to be on the second line, and smaller, so this is the caption:

The Castle Building, Stewart College

photo courtesy Rhodes College Archives, Memphis

There are probably other, perhaps better ways to do that. In any case, I could enclose the HTML in [HID:][sS:]...[:SS][:HID] codes. But I think TMG omits the caption in exhibits attached to events anyway, do I don't think it matters as far as TMG reports go.

But I think TMG omits the caption in exhibits attached to events anyway, do I don't think it matters as far as TMG reports go.

Yes, but I'm hoping to convince TMG to change that!

Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, do you have FindAGrave.com as a single source in your Master Source list, just changing the Citation Detail for each image? Or, do you have each image a separate source?

I do use a FindAGrave.com as a single source and change the CD for each image. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those really good researchers that makes an individual source for each. I admire those people :rolleyes