Cheryl

TMG and Windows 7

As a additional question [extra points!] I assume the 64 bit issues will continue with Windows 7. [i have one of each.] Are those still low on the priority list?

I don't see any differences from WinVista with 32-bit Win7.

With 64-bit Win7, you have the word processor document output issue and I have an issue with PDF output for which I'm still searching for a work-around.

The replacement of the word processor components of TMG is actually at the top of the priority list and is in development. This should also resolve the PDF output issue with TMG7.

%%%%%%%%%%

Oops! Forgot.

The work-around for the x64 issue is to run TMG as administrator and then I can output to PDF using the Wholly Genes PDF printer driver.

The problem seems to be setting up the NewPort. WinVista let you open the printer properties as administrator and creating NewPort and setting the port to newPort. Win7 has no way to open the printers properties as administrator and my guess is that newPort isn't set up properly.

Edited by Jim Byram

I don't see any differences from WinVista with 32-bit Win7.

So far I have no issues either. It was a proactive question.

With 64-bit Win7, you have the word processor document output issue and I have an issue with PDF output for which I'm still searching for a work-around.

The replacement of the word processor components of TMG is actually at the top of the priority list and is in development. This should also resolve the PDF output issue with TMG7.

I didn't know pdf was an issue. I was able able to output a report to pdf from 64 bit Vista last week. After I got the report the way I wanted it using print to screen I attempted to print as pdf. TMG crashed and closed. However, the data had apparently spooled to the pdf printer and was saved. After I made the report and attempted to save as pdf TMG totally crashed and closed. However, the data had apparently spooled to the pdf printer and was saved. I have the TMG pdf printer installed but I also have Adobe 8 Pro installed and that's what I used for a printer [at least that's what I told it to do]. I sent a trouble report and Phil reminded me of the word processor issues.

How did Terry do the great report with cites to show TMG could do a an Elizabeth type report with no word processor?

How did Terry do the great report with cites to show TMG could do a an Elizabeth type report with no word processor?

Cheryl -

I assume you mean the one I describe in my article Producing a “Publishable” Article?

The reports I used there were sent to a word processor, but not edited in it. It's right out of TMG without editing. (Except for the shots for my website article for them I did adjust the margins and line breaks to get the content to more or less align with the content of the original pages).

Cheryl -

I assume you mean the one I describe in my article Producing a “Publishable” Article?

The reports I used there were sent to a word processor, but not edited in it. It's right out of TMG without editing. (Except for the shots for my website article for them I did adjust the margins and line breaks to get the content to more or less align with the content of the original pages).

Yes, but I can't save a file in word processing format. Oh never mind. I have 64 bit and it is only a problem in 64 bit. That's why I moved TMG to the 32 bit Windows 7 computer. Duh!

I didn't know pdf was an issue. I was able able to output a report to pdf from 64 bit Vista last week. After I got the report the way I wanted it using print to screen I attempted to print as pdf. TMG crashed and closed. However, the data had apparently spooled to the pdf printer and was saved. After I made the report and attempted to save as pdf TMG totally crashed and closed. However, the data had apparently spooled to the pdf printer and was saved. I have the TMG pdf printer installed but I also have Adobe 8 Pro installed and that's what I used for a printer [at least that's what I told it to do]. I sent a trouble report and Phil reminded me of the word processor issues.

I have no idea what you are saying.

When you select Acrobat (PDF) as the 'Save to: File type:' and click the [Create Report] button, TMG will use the Wholly Genes PDF printer driver. Under 64-bit Win7, when I do that, I get a message 'Printer not activated, error code -20'. The usual work-arounds for that don't work. This process works fine under 32-bit Win7.

If you select a different 'Save to: File type:' (such as Individual narrative or Journal) and use some other PDF printer driver for report output, that has nothing to do with the 'Acrobat (PDF)' output selection and with using the Wholly Genes PDF driver.

When you select Acrobat (PDF) as the 'Save to: File type:' and click the [Create Report] button, TMG will use the Wholly Genes PDF printer driver. Under 64-bit Win7, when I do that, I get a message 'Printer not activated, error code -20'. The usual work-arounds for that don't work. This process works fine under 32-bit Win7.

If you select a different 'Save to: File type:' (such as Individual narrative or Journal) and use some other PDF printer driver for report output, that has nothing to do with the 'Acrobat (PDF)' output selection and with using the Wholly Genes PDF driver.

I saved it to pdf using 64 bit Vista. TMG crashed but the report was saved to PDF. I got my report. There may have been error messages but if so they went by too fast. I had never seen TMG crash and close. Originally I saved to WordPerfect and then to RTF. My error message then was: "Conversion error #20 - Unknown error. Contact technical support."

I don't understand your second paragraph.

I wrote:

The Wholly Genes PDF printer driver is only used when you select 'Acrobat (PDF)' as the report output type.

The Wholly Genes PDF driver cannot be used as a system printer driver and should never be selected as the printer from from the TMG Printer Setup... screen.

If you select a report output type (for example) such as Individual Narrative or Journal and you want to output to a PDF file, you need to have a third party PDF printer driver selected as the default system printer or as the printer on the TMG File / Printer Setup... screen.

I don't know how else to explain it. Look at the screens involved.

Are there any known issues with TMG and Windows 7? [32 bit]

One way of avoiding the 64-bit printing problem in Windows 7 is to run TMG in XP mode. XPM is a special Win 7 virtualization -- free from Microsoft -- which allows you to run a program as if it were running in XP32. The program opens and closes just as though it were a native Win7 program. The various word-processor printing functions work perfectly.

There are a few disadvantages:

1. The XP Mode programs will only run on the main monitor; if you have a second monitor attached the program cannot be placed on it. (This is a showstopper for me, as it interferes with my cherished multi-screen layouts)

2. File reads and writes are noticeably slower than when TMG runs in win 7 directly.

3. If you are synchronizing your TMG files with another computer by mirroring the directory structures you have to go throught the agonies of the damned to get everything working smoothly and you have to write some fairly sophisticated (by my standards, at least) batch files. Of course one can still synchronize by backing up the data & restoring the backup on the second machine, but that's a little tedious.

But if 1 & 3 don't affect you -- i.e., you have only one monitor and you are not synchronizing -- you're home free with Windows 7, 64 bit.

XPM isn't available for Vista.

Good wishes to all.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

One way of avoiding the 64-bit printing problem in Windows 7 is to run TMG in XP mode. XPM is a special Win 7 virtualization -- free from Microsoft -- which allows you to run a program as if it were running in XP32. The program opens and closes just as though it were a native Win7 program. The various word-processor printing functions work perfectly.

64 bit Vista has programs and X86 programs. Isn't that what it is doing?

I gave up on sync long ago. I haven't been able to have the data on the server computer and access it from other computers. It was suggested that might be 64 bit too. 64 bit is the current scapegoat. :-) Doesn't matter. I am hopeful moving both computers to Win 7, despite the bit differences, will solve that issue. I think being able to have the data in one place and access it from other computers should be a priority for the next version of TMG. I have no idea if that is a difficult issue or not. There are so many computers, OS, configs, etc. I would think it could be.

I wrote:

The Wholly Genes PDF printer driver is only used when you select 'Acrobat (PDF)' as the report output type.

The Wholly Genes PDF driver cannot be used as a system printer driver and should never be selected as the printer from from the TMG Printer Setup... screen.

If you select a report output type (for example) such as Individual Narrative or Journal and you want to output to a PDF file, you need to have a third party PDF printer driver selected as the default system printer or as the printer on the TMG File / Printer Setup... screen.

I don't know how else to explain it. Look at the screens involved.

Ok, that's what I do. I had to check to make sure the TMG printer driver was installed when Phil asked because I have Adobe. It was. When I output to PDF I use the Adobe PDF printer. It didn't occur to me to attempt to use the TMG printer driver.

64 bit Vista has programs and X86 programs. Isn't that what it is doing?

I gave up on sync long ago. I haven't been able to have the data on the server computer and access it from other computers. It was suggested that might be 64 bit too. 64 bit is the current scapegoat. :-) Doesn't matter. I am hopeful moving both computers to Win 7, despite the bit differences, will solve that issue. I think being able to have the data in one place and access it from other computers should be a priority for the next version of TMG. I have no idea if that is a difficult issue or not. There are so many computers, OS, configs, etc. I would think it could be.

Not exactly, Cheryl. "Programs" and "Programs(X86)" are just the directories into which Win7 & Vista place installed programs. In Vista64 and Win7_64 64-bit programs run natively, 32 bit programs through a "thunking" layer. XPM means that the software runs in a virtual XP32 machine. This virtual XP is established with an additional program available from M'soft. TMG's printing functions can thus operate correctly.

The synchronization I discussed in my earlier post is achieved by copying files and directories between two machines, not by a server/client relationship such as you seem to have attempted. I can do the latter -- but it only works in my house, not when my laptop is with me on the road. It does not matter for either form of synchronization whether the machines are 64 bit, 32 bit, or mixed. I use a flash drive to keep my machines in sync.

If you Google "XPM mode" you can find links to the software I've mentioned and a few good technical discussions of its workings.

Incidentally, I've been running TMG7 (and everything else I own) under 64-bit Win7 for several months now without a hint of trouble and with much pleasure. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

All good wishes.

formerprof

Incidentally, I've been running TMG7 (and everything else I own) under 64-bit Win7 for several months now without a hint of trouble and with much pleasure. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

All good wishes.

formerprof

I also have been running TMG under Win7 on a Dell laptop for the past couple of months and it has been quite smooth. Has a little trouble with the initial install but no show stoppers. Was very surprised as Vista was a nightmare. I actually went back to XP rather than run anything under Vista.