cliffhall

Merge - feature request

Until this year most of my new information was vetted in TMG. I now find a fair amount of new information via my uploaded GEDCOM tree on Ancestry.com. Their Hints and searches make it easy to find tree members, sources and add them. Now this leaves me with lots of additional information on my Ancestry tree, that I can download as a GEDCOM. While I know "easy" means it is easy to get junk data, I do vetting of this data before I download the GEDCOM. While not happy with some of the new user interface directions Ancestry.com has taken, I am impressed with the UI for merging records into a tree maintained on Ancestry. The "show relations" option for later census records is very powerful, along with ability to drill down into detail giving more control over merge. It gives the ability to merge a family quickly.

While a powerful merge feature can get one in trouble it seems very useful where you are merging two data sources that you are maintaining. I would like to see a merge more like the one Ancestry provides, where you can quickly in one screen review a number of family members and then merge them.

Thanks

Cliff

Until this year most of my new information was vetted in TMG. I now find a fair amount of new information via my uploaded GEDCOM tree on Ancestry.com. Their Hints and searches make it easy to find tree members, sources and add them. Now this leaves me with lots of additional information on my Ancestry tree, that I can download as a GEDCOM. While I know "easy" means it is easy to get junk data, I do vetting of this data before I download the GEDCOM. While not happy with some of the new user interface directions Ancestry.com has taken, I am impressed with the UI for merging records into a tree maintained on Ancestry. The "show relations" option for later census records is very powerful, along with ability to drill down into detail giving more control over merge. It gives the ability to merge a family quickly.

While a powerful merge feature can get one in trouble it seems very useful where you are merging two data sources that you are maintaining. I would like to see a merge more like the one Ancestry provides, where you can quickly in one screen review a number of family members and then merge them.

Thanks

Cliff

Errr... to my mind the more removed TMG is from anything even remotely resembling anything on Ancestry the better off TMG wil be in the long run. Ancestry promotes and enables bad genealogical practices - the very opposite of TMG. Long may they never meet!

Thank you for your concern about going to the dark side. But I find Ancestry just another tool, like a hammer it can help or hurt depending on how it is used. Bad practices is how a user uses things, and you sure can break your hand with a hammer. For example suppose one uses Ancestry to attach only census records to their online tree and wants bring those source links back into TMG, is that crossing the line if they want a quick way to do that? Maybe?, but if they double checked that the records were the right families and matched their core data before the merge, I think they qualify for a quicker way to merge.

Cliff

Thanks

Cliff

Errr... to my mind the more removed TMG is from anything even remotely resembling anything on Ancestry the better off TMG wil be in the long run. Ancestry promotes and enables bad genealogical practices - the very opposite of TMG. Long may they never meet!

Thank you for your concern about going to the dark side. But I find Ancestry just another tool, like a hammer it can help or hurt depending on how it is used. Bad practices is how a user uses things, and you sure can break your hand with a hammer. For example suppose one uses Ancestry to attach only census records to their online tree and wants bring those source links back into TMG, is that crossing the line if they want a quick way to do that? Maybe?, but if they double checked that the records were the right families and matched their core data before the merge, I think they qualify for a quicker way to merge.

Cliff

Cliff,

My biggest beef with Ancestry, well- one of anyway, is allowing copying from one online tree to another. It just leads to garbage in most cases.

As to your particular example...

I have an Online Member Tree that is composed of unlinked individuals. I find the appropriate sources and attach them then from time to time download a gedcom of the tree and make it a new project in TMG then merge that project into my main TMG file.

Being unlinked to anyone else that allows me to merge any person and their sources without the posibility of othe member of the family duplicated. After I get that done them I return to my online tree and delete any person I have downloaded and merged into my main file so the next time I download a gedcom of the online tree it won't contain someone already in my main TMG file.