ctyank

Cemetery plot purchased

Hi folks,

I am not really new to TMG but always learning. I have an interesting question in regards to the purchase of a burial plot by a family member/s.

What would you experts recommend in creating a tag that would include the information obtained from cemetery offices on the location, purchaser, and details of said plot? In a number of our family they were bought before there was the "immediate need". Maybe it is an IRISH thing.

Would love suggestions on the tag creation for such an event!

Thanks CT Yank

My family has done that for years, and I haven't really bothered to record it. If you wanted to you could create a custom tag. But I'd treat it like any other purchase. Would you record the purchase of car, house, boat, etc?

Now you could go ahead and create a burial tag if you wanted with all the information about the burial plots and post date it way ahead of the person's birth. Preplanned funerals aren't unusual, I just haven't seen a need to record them as part of a person's genealogy.

Thanks Teresa,

It really was to understand how one might create a new tag or copy an existing one.

In my family's case it has been more to highlight "unusual" family plot purchases.

1. E.G. my GM & GF purchased plots before they were married. The marriage records while 'supported' by the local church in NY represent a marriage record from Ohio. Why they were married in Ohio? The original marriage details from Ohio conflict with known info.

2. Another Aunt with three husbands had the plot bought by her 2nd husband's family.

I was just wondering whether to copy an existing tag to create a new one, i.e. cemetery purchase and then how to define roles and sentence writing.

The 'family closets' continue to surprise.

Thanks CT Yank

CT,

If you only have a couple of them, I'd use an Ancedote tag and put the whole story in the Memo, using [P], [PO], [D] and [L] variables in the text to pick up the names, date, and place. If you expect to have a number creating a custom tag might be worthwhile, mainly because that label would show in the Details Window.

I agree with Terry on this one. Or a custom role in the burial tag might work as well. Then you could explain the details in the memo field. Really depends on where you want the sentence to print. When they bought the plots, say before the marriage, or when they died, say as part of the burial.

Thanks folks,

Plenty of ideas there and surely a solution! Think since there are only a few the anecdote option sounds right then my date alswo indicates the timing of the purchase. Thanks again.

CT Yank