My sister in Australia and myself in the US share a comon project. A method to syncronize electronically would be make life much easier.

With a multi-table FoxPro relational database, I can't imagine how this would be done. It would be extremely complex to code and would require enormous resources to process with large databases. And ultimately, when merging genealogical data, there are decisions that only the user can make. Do you know of an example where this has been done?

Many users have multi-user projects with various methods of coordinating and reconciling data entry.

In your case, I'd do something simple.

One person maintains the master project and data set (person1).

That person can make new entries into the master data set.

The other person (person2) should enter data into a separate new data set. If there are links to people that exist in the master, add the placeholder person with a name only (the exact name used in the master copy). That will make the necessary people merges easier.

Periodically, person2 should send a project with the new data set to person1 who should merge the new data set into the master data set and do all necessary people, source and repository merges.

Then person1 sends the updated project to person2. Person2 adds a new data set for new entry and starts the process again.

This should be easy to maintain as long as you have some simple rules that are always followed. Do the updates at frequent enough intervals so that the marging process is simple and can be done quickly. Person2 can even keep a simple list of the placeholder individuals so that you know who to merge after the data set merge.

This process distributes the work load. Person1 has to deal with maintaining and updating the master data set. Person2 has to create and send the new data set and keep a simple list of placeholder people.

This issue of collaboration on the same TMG project comes up regularly. I offered some suggestions earlier in this posting.

Hope this gives you ideas,

What you say makes sense.

Does it mean person 2 would just use the name as it exists in the master data set without any reference to the TMG ID #. For example Person 2 adds John Thomas Smith (in the Master set he is ID # 5) identifying him as #5 in the person data set 2 or just ignore the ID number since TMG will generate new numbers in Data set 2. Then person 1 uses the info on John Thomas Smith and just merges the info adding sources etc to the Master set?

What you say makes sense.

Does it mean person 2 would just use the name as it exists in the master data set without any reference to the TMG ID #. For example Person 2 adds John Thomas Smith (in the Master set he is ID # 5) identifying him as #5 in the person data set 2 or just ignore the ID number since TMG will generate new numbers in Data set 2. Then person 1 uses the info on John Thomas Smith and just merges the info adding sources etc to the Master set?

Yes.

If the progenitor is John Smith in data set #1 and you are adding data set #2 and want to add children of John Smith, you add John Smith to data set #2 as a place holder and add his children. You are not concerned about ID numbers. After the merge into the master data set, the ID numbers will be different no matter what you do.

When you merge the new data set into the master data set, you merge the two John Smiths. Since the John Smith from the new data set has no data except the name, the person merge in the master data set will be very simple.

This was just a suggestion about how to handle connections from the new data to the old data and how to minimize the effort required when doing the data set and subsequent people merges.

My sister in Australia and myself in the US share a comon project. A method to syncronize electronically would be make life much easier.

Another option, if you both have a reliable and faster internet connection is to use Remote Desktop Software .

This would mean one of you hosting TMG on your machine (preferably a third machine solely for that purpose) and both of you coordinating times to edit the same database.

I am not sure you could be both editing the tmg database at the same time.